Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I threw a bait hive out last week hoping to catch a swarm.
Friday I noticed activity at the entrance and Sunday morning a swarm had moved in.
Here is a pic of the entrance Sunday afternoon.
Plant

My bait hive is built to the same dimensions as my normal hives, but is 2ft long instead of 4ft.
My bait hive is positioned about 1/4 mile away from my bee yard.

I would like to move the bees to the bee yard and get them in a full sized hive.

Does anyone have suggestions on the steps to accomplish this?

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,175 Posts
Since it is dark now, go get the hive and bring it home.
Don't forget to close the entrance, a rag will work.
Set them up where you want them, unplug the entrance.
Put some grass or a branch in front of the entrance so they will reorient.

Mission accomplished.

If you move them after they start flying for the day then you will loose some of the foragers.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Since it is dark now, go get the hive and bring it home.
Don't forget to close the entrance, a rag will work.
Set them up where you want them, unplug the entrance.
Put some grass or a branch in front of the entrance so they will reorient.

Mission accomplished.

If you move them after they start flying for the day then you will loose some of the foragers.
I agree with G3farms, only thing I do extra is wait until I see them bringing in some pollen. Generally it means they have brood and won't leave on you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw one bee going in with pollen this evening. It's raining tonight, so I won't be able to move the bait hive tonight.
Weather permitting I'll move it tomorrow.
Any thoughts on moving them out of the bait hive and into a full sized hive?

·
Registered
83 Posts
When you get the bait hive, set it up next to / on top of the hive you want to move them into... whenever you are ready, good to wait until have capped brood... put frames / bars in the new hive in the same order they were in the bait hive. you will have some bees that want to stay in the bait hive, you can shake them in the top of new hive after you place the rest of the bars... leave the lid off the bait hive and the rest will find their way into the new hive.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You have plenty of time, assuming you can leave the bait hive were it is for now. It will take them a while to fill that up. If you can leave it were it is go ahead and leave it for a week or two, that way they will have brood and it will lock them in.

As far as moving them that is the easy part. Just be careful when driving since the comb will not be really strong.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,175 Posts
I use to move three hives in the back seat and three in the trunk of an old Plymouth.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I'll be moving them tomorrow evening. I have a truck so they'll be in the bed. I plan on driving very slowly since the comb is new. I saw comb thru one of the entrance holes and they are bringing in pollen. The hive seems much more active than the packages that I installed earlier this spring, yet not quite as busy as the second year hive.

Once I have moved the hive, I'll wait slightly more than a week, pull the comb out of the bait hive, put them in the full sized hive, shake the remaining bees out of the bait hive and into the full sized hive.

Now I need to build another full sized hive :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long should I leave the branch in front of the entrance?

Just as an update. I moved the bait hive to the bee yard last night. Everything went very smoothly.

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,469 Posts

Just as an update. I moved the bait hive to the bee yard last night. Everything went very smoothly.
I think you leave the branch there for a couple days?

Please post pics and let us know how it goes? I want a swarm so bad I can taste it. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts

I have just moved them at times without putting something in front of the entrance if the move is around 5 miles, when I do put something there I have had no problems removing it the following afternoon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts