Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion about the best time of year for putting out bait hives? The goal being(for me) to take full advantage of the window of opportunity. Thanks All.
Barry

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
When is swarm season in Indianapolis?

In Evansville, I have had a trap in place since March 06. To date, no swarm has moved in.

·
Registered
922 Posts
When do you normally get your first swarm calls, Barry? I would put bait hives out several weeks prior to that time.

>Dandelion bloom?

Wish we had one here . . . too much open cattle range with virtually no bee forage on it . . .

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If you put lemongrass out in a bait hive during the winter, does it hold it's scent until the weather warms up or do you need to freshen it every month anyway.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I try to put them out the begining of May here in NY. The earliest swarm I caught last year was the 3rd week in May. Setting them out early lets the scouts find them in advance of swarming. I add a couple drops of lemongrass oil to the topbars each week. Good luck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Barry count back 6 weeksfrom your honey flow.
From that date on for the next 4 weeks is when you have most of your reproduction swarms. Here in southeast Missouri that would about first week of April until first week of May, give or take a few days. You can get limon grass oil at you local health food store. Good luck

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
> or do you need to freshen it every month anyway

The exploring bees seem to show an interest in my bait hives for a year or more, but it's probably wise to freshen it with a couple of drops every couple of months or so.

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
Here, I've seldom seen a swarm in March (one). Most of them are somewhere between mid May and mid July. Rarely you see some overcrowding swarms later.

For optimum results, I'd put the bait hives out no earlier than April and no later than Mid May here. If you put them out earlier, I'd refresh the lemongrass oil. If you use the plastic vials of it from the beekeeping supply places, they will last a year and you can put them out as early as you like.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
In 2004 I hived swarms in May (Mother's Day), and again in 2005. In 2006 I got calls in mid April.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Dave,

I see there are multiple sizes, up to 16 Fluid Ounces. How much would I need for each bait hive? What kind of containers do you use?

Thanks for pointing me to the Stoney Mountain web-site. I will order it from there.

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
>Michael, do you have a supply location that you could recommend for the plastic vials of lemongrass oil?

I'd buy the bottle of Lemongrass oil instead. It's cheap. The vials are expensive. But they are available from all the major bee suppliers. Brushy Mt is where I got mine. I'm pretty sure Mann Lake and Dadant have them.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Any of the health food chains carry it. i.e. Wild oats, Fresh market, Whole foods, Earth fare, etc. They also carry royal jelly usually.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Well, thanks all! I do appreciate your insight...now as long as I stay firm footed on my ladder hanging up my swarm catchers, I should be fine! I built a boat load of them over the past few months.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts