Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First attempt at catching a swarm in a old brood brood was an unexpected success because we caught one this week.

The brood box was full of frames with starter strip foundation. A bit unsure what to do next. Is it ok to leave it in the same place until they build comb and find a buyer?

Also, when can we open it and start managing it? Maybe place some frames with full foundation too.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,788 Posts
Is there any already drawn comb in the box? If it is all frames with starter strips, you may end up with a serious cross combed mess on your hands. Give it a week and then work a few straight drawn combs in next to the combs they are building. Swarms build a lot of comb really fast so do not wait too long before checking on them. Remember that newly drawn wax is very soft and you do not want to be pulling those frames out unless you have to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The starter strips are about 2inches deep, across the frame. Well put in some full foundation.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Feeding them is always a good thing to, they have to start from nothing!

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
214 Posts
First attempt at catching a swarm ... an unexpected success.
Hey Bobby good to hear you caught a swarm. Out of curiosity where did you set up yours?

I set up four, and spent a weekend thinking about the best places I can set them up around my property. Guess what... I forgot an old nuc box under my worm farm, and that’s where I’m seeing a lot of scouts showing interest.

Hope your bees are doing well, here they are bringing in a lot of nectar and pollen now. It was a slow start to spring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We’re feeding sugar syrup now thanks for the tip.

Honeyeater the trap was set up without much consideration just next to the other hives. Bees are doing very well now and we’ll be harvesting a few frames by the end of the month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts