Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this and I have never seen one. Has anyone used this with any success?

I just noticed the folks used a translator which gave some interesting text.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
IF you get the bees enter this gizmo.... LOL
Well, you can set this up similar to swarm scion and get them inside that way.
I would not spend the money though - this is not a practical gizmo.

In the past we used very large canvas bags (pretty similar to a futon mattress cover in size).
The large size allowed such large bag to be just worn over entire branch (or a bush) with the bees on it.
You then snip a branch at the base and tie the canvas there - ta da - you have your swarm captured (wood and all - all inside a bag).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I learn something new everyday. I considered it might work as a temporary stop over for a swarm. I googled swarm scion seeing that I had never heard of such a thing.

After finding a couple of game sites I located a Russian scion. It used a bucket lid and a wax dipped screen on a board. It does look like a good way to catch your own swarm.

Are there any other designs?

·
Premium Member
Honey Hive Farms: We deliver bee packages, queens & bulk honey in 8 states
315 Posts
They are always coming out with something.
If you get it you will have to post results.
I didnt see a price.?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've wondered about these. I used a vaguely similar trap design this year - hanging flexible cylinder with entry underneath.
Cardboard and a bin bag on a palletwood carcass, based on this:
but with the entrance underneath so the rain cover didn't have to be cut.

I had three, two hung up and a spare one lying at about 45 degrees on a surface. The hanging traps had no interest as far as I ever saw, but the trap on a surface caught a small swarm (although it wasn't meant to).

So, from one season's experience, I haven't seen any evidence that bees like hanging cavities with entry underneath, unless there's a horizontal landing surface leading to the hole.
I decided the pain of getting them out cancelled out the cheapness and simplicity of the design.

·
Registered
367 Posts
No way this would work. This is garbage. But PT Barnum said it best, There's a sucker born every minute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts