Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying foundationless in my supers and they have been on for a week and a half. Saturday went in and fixed some cross comb. I went back in today and fixed some more but its starting to look better. I think since I am so new at this I am going to get some small cell and checkerboard this to help with the cross comb. The other news is one hive is nice, didn't get popped once. The other one is different... I got popped twice, the good news is no swelling what so ever but it did concern me a little. This is usually the second hive I get in and it seems that this one always gets me at least once and are a little more defensive. It is the smaller of the two but both have various stages of brood so I know the queen is active. Next time I will try it first and see what the reaction is and if that changes anything.

Any thoughts about the checkerboarding idea? I am a new beek in my first spring.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Any thoughts about the checkerboarding idea? I am a new beek in my first spring.

"Checkerboarding" is done in February or March and involves the combs OVER the brood nest. Opening the brood nest is done in prime swarm season and is done IN the brood nest. Try a search on both of those terms and you'll find many discussions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts