Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have just started bee keeping. Today I peaked in a package i put in last week and the bees are making comb between the frames instead of on the foundation. should I just cut this now or give them some more time and then work on fixing a bigger mess but not have to worry as much about slowing the girls in their start.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm first taking it that you are using a Langstroth hive as you mention frames w/foundation and not bars which would be for a Top Bar Hive. Normally speaking the bees have this problem when they have been put into a hive and the frames have not been spaced correctly. You need to push them tightly together at the top and keep them equal amount of distance from the sides of the box. Next the problem with your bees drawing comb between to fix or not to. I would HIGHLY suggest that you fix the mess as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the WORSE it's going to get. If the comb cannot be used in a foundationless frame to save it, then toss it and start over. Just make sure those frames are tight together at the top.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It could be improper spacing or they could be desperate for drone comb. They will find a way to build drone comb no matter what you do. Ive seen them polish embossed wax foundation smooth and fill the entire frame with drone comb. Either way cut all that junk out before it becomes a mess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise. I cut it out today. Made sure the frame were together. I had left the queen cage so the frames were space a bit funny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts