Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Show me your backyard/urban setup please!

We're currently in a a rental (shhh, don't tell anyone my bees are in the backyard) while we house hunt. It's on the shortlist for homes that they have a spot to set up the girls, but I'm curious to know what works for those of you that are working in backyards, urban environments, and/or smaller spaces. How do you handle mowing around your hives? What's your proximity to where you play? Do you set up hives on your grass or put pavers down. What would you do differently? That sort of stuff.

TIA!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Our bees are on 2 cement blocks laying on dirt which puts the hives about a Foot off the ground. Used "rabbit" fence for a peremeter so the dogs dont put their nose on the entraces. Mowing and gardening literally less than a foot from the hives with no problems. Yesterday was going Friday the 13th style on a giant weed, inches away from our big hive. No problems.

Not much I would do different at the moment. My nucs have a lot better set up over the main hives but it's a lot of explaining. Overall can't complain.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My one TBH is sitting on a 'bench trellis' in a corner of the backyard. I do have some flat stones under the legs, but I never got around to putting actual pavers down. When I moved it from the center of the yard I stuffed the entrance closed with pollen patty (late evening, after they were all back) moved it the 20' or so and then poked holes in the patty so they could start working it.
They are in a lower corner of the yard (the whole yard slopes down from the house) but the fence protects the hive from the worst of the winds and whatnot.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I run all topbar hives. 2 are in the front yard near the unused front door; the rest are in the back yard in various places. Some in the back yard are in what used to be my vegetable garden until we put white lattice and plastic fabric around it to help the bees fly up instead of out. (that part of the apiary is close to the neighbor's lot line). Mowing is not an issue with any of the hives, but again TBHs are elevated to waist height. The other hives are tucked into my 8ft deep flower border along the property line. All of those hives face the yard so they are not problematic for the neighbors. I just plant a tall annual 6 ft in front of the hive so the bees go up instead of out. You'd be amazed at how adaptable they are.

I do put out a thin syrup in July/Aug to keep the workers busy, otherwise they will be a nuisance to my husband who has a wood working shop in the backyard near the bee hives. He doesn't get stung, but they like to lick the salty sweat off his arms and that's a bit un-nerving.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We just installed two hives in the backyard. They're on stands about waist high (I sprang for the ones from Bee Thinking to save myself the time of cutting a similar system myself). We built what is effectively a raised rock garden to hold them: it cleared the grass out from underneath and allowed us to level out a slope in that part of the yard. I just framed it with cedar planks, filled it in with debris rock and dirt, and topped it with river rock. It doesn't look too bad, if I do say so myself.

The mower takes you within a foot or so of the hive entrance as you go along the edge of the "bee yard," but you're gone in a moment and nobody minds.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Would any of you mind sharing pictures of your setups?

My layout doesn't apply here (I have 3.5 acres), otherwise I'd share a description and pictures. :D

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I don't have photos that I can access at the moment at least. but at our peak we think we had 41 colonies in our middle of the city back yard. we now have 6. 4 nucs 2 full size colonies. all started form swarms this spring. Nucs are extremely strong and for sale if anyone is interested in a colony that will be capable of getting ready for almonds by the end of this season. we have 4 of them ready to go now. Top quality nucs built to my standards that are ready to move to 8 or 10 frame langs. in fact they have to be reduced form 10 frame boxes to even make a nuc out of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would any of you mind sharing pictures of your setups?
I live in a typical older mid-Atlantic neighborhood on .3 acres with lots of trees. Here is a picture in the early winter before snow started falling.

Behind the lattice is our deck and we have not had any problems with proximity. I also mow under the hive weekly (last in case things go south) being sure to keep the exhaust aimed away from the hive.

My neighbors are probably 20'-30' away, but I have the yard landscaped with taller bushes and plants so that the bees exit and pretty immediately head 20'+ up in the air. Most of the year they will typically head out up and over the roof of the house.

I also have a bird bath nearby filled with stones and water hoping to keep them away from one of my nearby neighbors Koi Pond.

I keep my fingers crossed that my bees will keep their gentle nature year after year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts