Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share how I rear Queens over the summer.The first time I grafted a few years ago I only had one hive.So this can be done with limited resources.I don't isolate the Queen beforehand,I just look for young eggs on frame.Im going to share my dates I had some issues with this round.I didn't give up and it's going to work out in the end.
Day 1 6/6/2022 set up 5 frame cell builder.2 capped emerging brood.2 honey pollen.1 open brood/eggs/larva.
3 or more frames nurse bees shook.
Set up in box (CB,HP,OB,HP,CB)
Day 2 or 3.6/8/2022 check for cells squish them all.Graft.I tried for 20.Check in day or two should be starting to draw.
6/10/2022 Drawing 5 to 6.6/13/2022 cells cleaned out..Regraft 6/13/2022.check cells 2 days later 6/15/2022 looks like 16 out of 20.Should be capped on 6/18/2022. I will put cages on them 6/21/2022.
I add pollen patties on top frames Plus two quart feeders under the upper box.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the. Frame I'm going to graft from starts as my middle frame.These eggs will get fed well so their almost swimming..Graft .put the frame back in a hive

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's fine to mix and match from hives..
The open brood frame is only left in for a day or two...A thread recently called it a (practice) frame.....after 24 to 48 hours you hope to see cells being drawn somewhere in the hive...If some cells are started on the open brood squish them,,surrounding eggs/larvae should be right age to graft,...take your grafts put the open brood frame in another hive..now the bees should start on your grafts..You should have an idea how many in 24 to 48 hours.hope that helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts