Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The buzz about the decreasing honeybee population has motivated some Floridians to invest in a new hobby. Each year, the nation’s population of honeybees declines by more than 30 percent. Meanwhile, the number of Floridian beekeepers has nearly tripled in the past decade, with more than 2,700 people currently combating the buzzkill. (The Alligator)
2700 was last June. We are over 3400 now!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wish municipal regulations would catch up with the trend. Unfortunately backyard beekeeping is still illegal in many counties. What we need is a state wide law that would override those regulations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's really awesome! I'm wanting to do my Master's thesis on beekeeping from an anthropological perspective and this sounds so interesting! Good luck!

Nadine

·
Registered
147 Posts
When your nosy neighbor turns you in to your city inspector and he says your bees have to go, show him this.

586.10 Powers and duties of department; preemption of local government ordinances.—(1) The authority to regulate, inspect, and permit managed honeybee colonies and to adopt rules on the placement and location of registered inspected managed honeybee colonies is preempted to the state through the department and supersedes any related ordinance adopted by a county, municipality, or political subdivision thereof.

Then as my dad says, tell the neighbor and the inspector to "Go pound sand". The state regulates here in Florida wear you can have bees. Here is the link for the statues.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/586.10

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am surprised your state bee inspector did not share that with you. Lisa Reynes is pretty good at explaining things. If you are not registered that is another matter. You can still be fined by the locals for non-compliance if you are not registered with the state. It has already gone to court in another county. That person was smart enough to get inspected before their hearing date. The state can fine you or confiscate the hive under 586 but we give you plenty of chances to comply.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yes, I placed some hives in Panama City after the new rules came in effect. Code enforcement notified us that it was against the Panama City codes. I called the inspector, he came by just to insure i was in compliance then he called Westerfeld, who then called the code enforcement police. City decided they had no jurisdiction. That is only one of many reasons I like our Florida inspectors and apiary services. The fee is very minor ($10.00 for 5 or less hives). They inspect and give excellent advice. But I will miss Doug Corbin I our area.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am surprised your state bee inspector did not share that with you.
I did my inspection and registered about 4 years ago. Back then they didn't have that law in effect yet. Ever since then I've been just sending a check once a year for registration renewal. It is my understanding that I don't have to have an inspection done every year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts