Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of pissing off the bee when sticking the OAV wand in the front entrance so I'm trying this solution this season that allows me to work more from the backside. I've made some new BB with a rear entrance and plug for the OAV wand. In the Fall I'll let you know how they worked out.
animation stills002.jpg animation stills003.jpg animation stills001.jpg

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I think you will like doing oav from the rear of the hive. That is how the Provap and other band heater vaporizers are used.

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
239 Posts
I have Rusty's IPM Bottom Board. It features a screened bottom board over a closed compartment for a purchased aluminum 14x18 roaster pan or a custom-fabiricated tray, and is constructed from standard lumber. That's how the construction data's first page reads. I use 10 frame equipment and that's how he designed it. I still use a wand OAV and I go into the bottom at the back and remove the back door. I remove the aluminum pan with cooking oil and then I set a piece of aluminum flashing on the plywood. I have a piece of plywood that replaces the back door that has a 1" hole in the middle on the bottom. I set the wand in place for the whole time it needs to be there and go about my business while it vaporizes the OA.

Rusty made those plans available for free at rustysbee.com/ipm.html. I found that in 2013 probably through beescource. On my production colonies it works very well. This was my second year of beekeeping and I am very pleased with how it works. I rarely have small beetle problems and this works well for me as a hobbyist. The only maintenance is cleaning up the uncappings in the spring and an occasional coat of paint.

Working from the back sure is nice.

I just tried to find Rusty's web but it no longer exists.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think one could easily retrofit an existing BB with my simple alteration. Just cut the slot in the back and make a plug. My plugs have an aluminum face plate incase you need to use a hive tool to break the propolis free. As often as we’re treating these days I don’t see propolis getting too bad though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts