Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Well... we found a local beek with a spare Nuc for sale and setup shop again.

Before we bought, we got a chance to take a good looksie at combed out(and beautifully stocked frames) and watched our nice big healthy queen to be happily going about her business.

We'll have to take the long way around regressing them to SC, but at least we're off to a good start.

Hived it last Sunday, and so far they're doing fine.

My wife is so excited, she's been out watching the hive with binoculars (from about 10' away)at every opportunity and already talking about wanting to setup nucs as soon as we can. :D

Neither of us expect a harvest at all this year. We'd much rather expand / build up colonies for next year.

Though it's getting harder to resist the temptation to "pop the top" and take a peek inside, I'd rather let them settle in. :D

First official inspection will be this Saturday (weather permitting) and I think I'll give Country Rubes' powdered sugar treatment a go.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Why use binoculars just sit beside the hive and watch i do it all the time me and my son.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may just have to sit close. My hands are too shaky to hold binoculars steady, though I agree about it being a great way to see what they're packin'.

I should probably quit smoking as well. The girls don't care much for the smell of tobacco smoke. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
"Why use binoculars just sit beside the hive and watch i do it all the time me and my son"

Because during the first episode (where our hive kept absconding), his wife (me) was watching from a "safe" distance and a little explorer decided to fly right up my nose.

The little voice in my head reminded me that I have more air in my lungs and to exhale quickly. But, I got stung right where my nose and lip connect.

I've been a little scared of getting close without a veil, mask, etc. since.

For right now, the binoculars are fine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup. That's my queen. :D

Chances are, she'll be digging around in the hives w/o gloves, etc... long before I'm brave enough to.

Ellie May has a way with all dem critters... ;)

[ May 03, 2006, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: ainsof ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts