Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time avoiding crusing bees... when I put the "last frame" in... There's bees all over the framerest. I can brush them off, but 3 seconds, they're there again.

Same for replacing supers. The bees just come out of the hive and run along the ledge. I can brush them off, but before I can get the super back on, they're on the top edge again. For the lighter supers, I can place the super at an offset, and rotate it on, but this doesn't work so well for the heavier supers.

Is this an inevitable and acceptable occurrence, or is there something else I can be doing to avoid this?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Smoking the bees on the top box and underneath the box you are placing back on helps. It's hard to avoid crushing some bees. When you go to place the last frame back in puff some smoke on the bees to move them out of the way.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Put the corner edge of the super being replaced onto the back corner of the one below and then rotate it so that the whole edge is on the one below. Then slide it gently forward until nearly in line, then lift the back a little, slide it forward until the back edge is in front of the bottom back edge, put it down and slide it back into place. Sounds long winded but can be done quite quickly and hardly ever crush any bees like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts