Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what is normal production for a good hive. I current have 2 hives which I have had for 3 years now.... The first year I got no honey from either hive... Year 2 I got 60lbs from my strong hive and zero from weak hive.... Last year I got 100 lbs out of my strong hive and zero out of weak hive because it swarmed.... I am adding 2 more hive this spring because looking for about 200lbs total is that reasonable??? I did swarm prevention n the week hive this year so I am hoping it will finally produce too....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well that certainly depends on the location of the hive, the weather, and the genetics of the particular hive. I'm in NorCal too and have had similar results as you - some strong hives kick out a ton, others not so much. For planning reasons, I'd suggest assuming about 2 mediums per hive, that's about 30-35 lbs or so per 10 frame super. Some may give more, some less, but if you have that many supers you're probably OK.

BTW, Go Stanford!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd requeen the weak hive and separate them by a good ways. I'm wondering if your strong hive isn't robbing from your weak hive.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
30 to 35 pounds per super is about the average, If you have a hive that continually fails to produce surplus you should requeen with a more productive queen. and I don't mean raise one from that hive. just in case it is not a case of a poorly bred queen but genetics. Raise a queen from your strong hive, or Simply buy one from a reputable queen producer/

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that certainly depends on the location of the hive, the weather, and the genetics of the particular hive. I'm in NorCal too and have had similar results as you - some strong hives kick out a ton, others not so much. For planning reasons, I'd suggest assuming about 2 mediums per hive, that's about 30-35 lbs or so per 10 frame super. Some may give more, some less, but if you have that many supers you're probably OK.

BTW, Go Stanford!
Lol go bears!!!!! I thought 100lbs was the extreme end

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd requeen the weak hive and separate them by a good ways. I'm wondering if your strong hive isn't robbing from your weak hive.
The 2 hives are 28 miles apart :) 1 in Dublin and 1 in Cupertino ..... The weak hive swarmed last year and was getting robbed by local bees so this year I went in early and did some swarm prevention so hopefully they produce... If not I will finally replace the queen.... I thought I'd give the new queen 1 year....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts