Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The government has established the value of a hive to be $200. I didn't know that.

Honeybee Hive Loss Payments

Payments for honeybee hive losses are based on the average fair market value of honeybee hives in the calendar year in which the loss occurs, as established by FSA. For 2008 and 2009 honeybee hive losses, FSA has established an average fair market value of $200 per honeybee hive. The 2008 and 2009 ELAP payments for honeybee hive losses will be based on 60 percent of the result of multiplying:

… number of honeybee hives lost due to an eligible adverse weather or loss condition, times;

…$200, average fair market value per honeybee hive.

http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2010.07.01.09.51.archive.html

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Looks as though that is in the case of loss of colony AND hive, or equipment.

For colony loss, they have set a fair market value at $60.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Looks like a few beekeepers will be getting there out of line over priced bailout
after all. Does the FSA realize that it's just the bees that die not the hive bodies also. I know that the loss of honey production isn't included in this price because that is a seperate claim for crop loss. My pocket book wishes I would have followed through with my loss claim but my conscious know's better.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is this for taxes or for commerical beeks? I already file farm but my tax guy wasn't quite sure how to do the bee thing on the taxes. I wasn't either. Last year wasn't a big deal but I have more this year so I'll want to add that. If you lose a hive over the winter can you take that off of your taxes? I wondered if it was like our cattle. If we lose a cow we bought we can deduct her cost but if it was one we raised we can't deduct b/c we are already deducting the feed costs to feed her.

·
Registered
507 Posts
So let me get this straight...

If your hives dies out over the winter, then you get only $60.00 but if a flood or something like that takes the whole hive, wood and all, you get the $200.00?

Is that right?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If you can document your losses, and are eligible, you would receive 60% of those figures, after deducting 17.5% from your count for normal attrition.

It is not easy to meet FSAs requirements, they want a lot of documentation, and at least in Fresno they are scrutinizing the applications closely for fraud.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just thought it interesting. Of course, there are more questions than answers and for the most part the actual program only impacts commercial beekeepers who keep good records. As a benchmark the $200 seems to be in the ballpark. That is if your ballpark is a single deep with a medium super on top that was just extracted.

I'm wondering if a 5 frame cardboard nuc that washes away in a flood is the same as a double deep.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Sounds like what you are really wondering is if FSA is going to pay out the same for the nuc as for a double. Only if you lie about and they believe you.

FSA is not going to give anything away. If you think they are, go in and start the process. You will soon find that your principles and conscience won't allow you to participate.

·
Registered
355 Posts
just remember anything you take from uncle sam someone will pay for it probably at least 3 fold. and the someone is probably your kids. nothin in this life is for free. :no:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You can also look at it as the more you take from "unlce sam" the less they have to make new programs up.
Everyone takes some sort of government benifit - most just don't recognise it.

But as said, nothing in life is free - that includes salvation.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like what you are really wondering is if FSA is going to pay out the same for the nuc as for a double. Only if you lie about and they believe you.

FSA is not going to give anything away. If you think they are, go in and start the process. You will soon find that your principles and conscience won't allow you to participate.

What I was wondering is what the government definition of a $200 "hive" is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts