Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Autumn Olive a good source of nectar\pollen? At work there are acres of it! We've been cursing it for years, you just can't get rid of it. We've even tried bulldozing it, I swear that it sprouts up right behind the machine :rolleyes: . In the fall the birds LOVE it. I know that because of what they leave on all the cars. I wonder if I've finally found a use for it? There are several hundred acres of undeveloped land in the area so finding a place for the bees will not be a problem. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
i have about two hundred mature autum olives that i planted in a row down one edge of our property about 15 years ago. the honey bees go nuts over it as do the bumblebees. it blooms early here and the bees use it for nectar mostly for build up, but i think a little of it gets stored as well. while they are supposed to be invasive, i haven't found any sprouting up other than a few in between the ones i planted. it was the very floral fragrance that they put off that motivated us to invite a beekeeper to bring some bees out to our place a few years back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
GREAT source of nectar. Don't know about pollen. It has been planted on the mountains near here as a strip mine reclamation plant. Bees love it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Is Autumn Olive a good source of nectar\pollen?
Like others have said, Autumn Olive is a good nectar source. Not sure about pollen. A beek from a neighboring county sells a varietal Autumn Olive honey. Very tasty, and I usually buy some from him. At my home apiary, we do not have a lot of Autumn Olive. However, at my Uncle's apiary, we have lots of "Ob Molly". Every few years we get a heavy "Ob Molly" flow.

Some years frost gets the "Ob Molly" blooms.

Shane

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'll also add that my bees seem to prefer it to other nectar sources. Since they strive for efficiency and getting the biggest bang for the buck, it must be a very good source. I had a very constant stream of foragers headed to a patch near a highway interchange. When I observed them on the bushes I did not notice much pollen gathering. They seemed to be getting their pollen from henbit instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts