Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Everyone,

I have a NUC with 10 queen cells in it that I was able to split from my main hive. I plan on power feeding them and building them up for the winter.

My question is is it to late to take one of those frames with queen cells and split again? I live in Western PA and it's a crapshoot for our winters.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
You can try but be prepared to kill a queen and combine small hives. If you had a laying queen it would surely work. new queens take awhile to start laying and then for brood to be raised. You can always give them frames of brood to kick start them after the queen starts laying. definitely feed from the getgo.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you've got a very large hive you can make a queenless split off of it with only capped brood and no eggs and give it one of the frames with capped queen cells.

·
Registered
667 Posts
You may be OK but it's close. Drawn comb is the deciding factor I believe. Judging by the amount of Goldenrod I see, with the early variety blooming, we could have a very good fall flow.

Like was mentioned above, be ready to pinch a queen and combine if they don't draw out all the comb in the box. I've leanred from experience on late splits...if all the frames aren't 100% drawn, they won't make it through the winter.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Late splits ? I'd suggest to make 'em as large as you can, and figure out the number of potential brood cycles left during this season in your locality - that is, assuming mating is successful. Be prepared to combine failures, feed from the word go - and fit anti-robbing screens.
LJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts