Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you aware that a bill has been introduced to make it easier for small beekeepers to bottle and sell honey in local markets?
We have a few state senators and representatives backing the bill, but now we also have one senator come out against the bill. Please email or call your IL. state senators and reps and ask them to support and co-sponsor the senate and house bills.
More info here-

http://www.isba.us/index.news.htm

·
Registered
66 Posts
Brenda
This is interesting keep us posted on the Bill's progress and good luck. I hope it passes.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the info I'm getting, the senator in question lives in a district that has a commercial honey operation, and is very sensitive to the wishes of said operation.
I should have more info soon, as there was a meeting on the bill in the senate chambers today.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Guess this will make some of you mad. 500 gallons or about 10 drums is alot of honey. Anyone producing/selling this amount should have a place fixed to do it the right way and something they are proud of and would want to show their customers. I can imagine doing this in the kitchen....divorces are expensive! If you sell out your door or at work with a few cases no one is going to bother you anyway. If you bottle 10 barrels you need a santary, clean room that will keep honey clean and where it can be bottled safely. I started with two hives, took a old coal room fixed walls with metal, put in a hand sink and two compartment sink, painted floors and I passed inspection. WE are trying to get a honey standard passed and make sure honey sold is "good" honey. No doubt most will or do do a good job, however there are always a few bad apples. If you want a mess let this happen and then someone contaminates or has a filthy honey house and the press/public find out! My MY My what a mess. IF you are going to bottle 5 or ten barrels of honey you should have a place you are proud of, it doesnt have to be lined in Gold but few simple things and pass inspection. ALot of stores wont sell or for that matter alot of farmers markets are demanding you be inspected due to liability. If you are inspected it lessens your liability. Without inspection you are leaving your pants down for a attorney. At first thought the above sounds like a great idea, but think about it....its andsome lawyer will be smiling. If you cant afford a small building/room to process in you cant afford to keep enough bees to make 10 barrells of honey! A accident waiting to happen!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right, 500 gallons is a lot of honey. You always ask for way more than you want because it's negotiated down. I think small beeks around here that do "sell a few bottles out their door" are just looking to do it legally.
I don't sell honey, but I do give it away to my family and friends. Nobody's been worried about it's safety yet.

I'm not mad at all.
The food processing standards for IL. are fairly strict.
We are looking for a little a relaxation of the rules.
We don't think honey should be lumped in as a "processed" food. We think it should be held to same standard that fruits and vegetables are, which is less than "processed" food, in our state.
I would think locally produced should be much less suspect than honey coming in from China.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts