Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had only three years of beekeeping experience, but...

1. I'm not afraid of stings
2. I've actually raised my own queens, and knew what I was doing
3. My honey production increased from 20 lbs my 1st year, to 60 lbs my 2nd year to 125 lbs my 3rd year?
4. I know and understand the role of nurse bees in banking queens
5. I just built my own top bar hive from plans I made myself
6. I Helped package bees at Reggie Wilbanks apiary in Claxton GA in 2009
7. I Passed the Virginia state qualified beekeeper certification
8. I Made my own candles from burr comb
9. I'm Currently serving as the president of our bee club
10. I served as Past secretary of our bee club
11. I have hentored 5 students
12. I don't have a forklift operators' license, but willing to learn
13. I don't have a truck drivers license, but willing to learn
14. I Have my own smoker, hive tools, & bee suit
15. I think I need a starting salary of 25-30 dollars per hour, but willing to negotiate, of course.
16. I'm a military retiree, very dependable, loyal to the company, good work ethic
17. I overwintered 2 nucs last year but am overwintering 12 nucs this year.
18. Not afraid to grab queens with bare hands
19. Work without gloves
20. Can lift 100 lb supers like they're boxes filled with hair.
21. Bonus: I worked contracts in the USAF so I understand terms and conditions and negotiating.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I would if I needed the help but the $25.00-$30.00 per hour would be way off base. I could hire Hose A, Hose B, and Hose C all together for that price. With last years honey crop I didn't even make that per hour myself.:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
WOW!!!! $25-$30/hr. be making more money than the boss. dont think you will find work in this industry for those wages. i got a guy that can do every but graft for $12.50/hr. just can't make that kind of money unless you own the business. personally i almost think it's an insult that you would even consider such a starting wage.

·
Registered
760 Posts
yeah - rather high- im a certified welder and certified elect and only make 23hr

seems if you want to make that money - its up to you to start your own company and see how much you make an hour -

if you know soo much then starting a company should be cake walk -
seems wrong to take someone else hard earned money - it takes a lot of hours at night,weekends, and holidays to be a boss - and those are hours we never get back and never get paid for -

but keep trying ......never know we could all be wrong ...... i think the lonly bin has a hive you can work for 25 an hour ...... Just kidding but really - think about you question most hired hands make about 9 hr - most are less
most of my help is two 18 year old and cost me 12 beers - and thats for the day -

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I agree with greg! But just in case...I might be interested in a job for that wage..here is my experience ect....34 yrs experience working 100's hives of bees, bs degree, class a cdl, 40+ years experience operating tractors, machinery and forklift, experienced at packing over a two hundred barrels honey/yr, expert at making creamed honey, experience raising queens, moved bees from coast to coast and north border to south border, won numerous awards including beekeeper of year, 50+ blue ribbons in american honey show including this year, four best of shows at ameican honey show, officer in local, state and national organizations. Given seminars on requeening, two queen colonies, wintering bees, moving bees, and numerous other beehive manipulations, packing honey, making ceamed honey including flavored creamed honey, marketing honey packing and labeling honey at local, state and national meetings. No drugs hard worker If anyone is interested in paying 30/hr let me know! I would be interested in talking!

·
Registered
676 Posts
You're definitely someone with skills that I'd be looking for. when I read how much you're looking for hourly!

Wow! If I could make that much somewhere, I'd quit beekeeping myself and work for them. (It'd pay better and I'd have fewer headaches!)

DS

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I probably should be realistic about the "new hired hand".
My at risk investment net proceeds would go to wages.
I do not think you will be paid what you are asking.
One rough day of working in the field, loading at dusk, driving to the new destination, unloading and returning home will be an awakening. Even at $12.50/hour.
Ernie

·
Registered
533 Posts
Fatscher...you realize the USA is at somewhere around 20% unemployment and we are in the worst economic shape since the depression? Just wondering...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Start your own pollination business. Work with someone at whatever wages he's willing to pay, learn how it is done well. In the meantime, start searching for old hives along roads in your area that don't seem to be cared for, covers off, hives tilted or down, etc. These will be hives that may be part of an estate, whose new owners are very willing to dispose of them. Buy them, you might be lucky and get more than just what you saw initially. Get the mailing lists of fruit farmers or orchadists from your state agriculture dept. and those of the neighboring states. Mail postcards with a return self adressed card to these farmers telling them your pollination fees during the late winter. Been there, done that. It is very doable. Oh.... hope you have a truck. OMTCW

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wait a sec. He didn't say he trying to be hired as a beekeeper, only that he had all that experience. Maybe he was trying to make a point.

What exactly are you looking for?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
If you are willing to relocate, have your own transportation and are willing to work for between $10.00 and $15.00 per hour, I could perhaps find someone who would hire you. Lower wages w/ room and board included.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW!!!! $25-$30/hr. be making more money than the boss. dont think you will find work in this industry for those wages. i got a guy that can do every but graft for $12.50/hr. just can't make that kind of money unless you own the business. personally i almost think it's an insult that you would even consider such a starting wage.
Sorry, my sincere apologies. Was not trying to insult. I really do not know. I plead total ignorance on what a rate should be. I will say that I saw a wanted ad in American Bee Journal which would pay $15-20 per hour, so I was targeting high.

I've never worked in the private sector, so I have no frame of reference on this matter. If I offended with my question, I'm truly sorry.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wait a sec. He didn't say he trying to be hired as a beekeeper, only that he had all that experience. Maybe he was trying to make a point.

What exactly are you looking for?
I have no ulterior motives, was genuinely (and naiively) curious. I would like to wake up and actually enjoy going to work. Bees are my passion, my current work is not (I'm a USAF officer retiring who's probably going to get hired on as a defense contractor just to pay a house mortgage...)

...and yes, mythomane, I'm pretty keenly aware about the economy, sorry you're on hard times. Come to Washington DC and become a beltway bandit and you'll start out at 90K a year. But it won't be what you like to do. Get my point?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Living out here in CA, if I didn't make [email protected] I couldn't make my house payment. House payments out here start at $3000 a month in a bad neighborhood.

I'm a construction worker in housing.
We get medical, 401K, @ pension on top of the base rate.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you are retireing take a part time job and try to start a bee business of some sort. Good queens and nukes are always in demand a small beekeeping supply place is also an option. People love to come in and see the products they want to buy so they can decide if the quality matches the price. Just an idea

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Why ask us?? Sounds like you got the tiger by the tail, and can afford alot of bees. Jump in! Go commercial right away. Find out what CCD , AFB, SHB, Nosema C., are all about. It is easy to make a small fortune in commercial beekeeping(start with a large one).

Roland

·
Registered
433 Posts
I pay $12-$16 an hour for my crew. I offer a group health care plan and my main beekeeper gets a deal on housing and a free vehicle to drive.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I dont see an issue with what you came out and said. I don't know of a single person that doesn't go in high in a job interview. I was starting guys out for $20.00/hr who had some electronics experience, not even OJT for ATM machines. I am a 1099 now because i am retired, but in my industry, hourly rates ate from $115.00 to $400.00/hr during normal work hours. Some Jobs, i charge $50.00/hr and some go for a heck of a lot more......just depends. If you have that passion, I say go for it. Worst thing that can happen is someone saying no.....

·
Registered
533 Posts
kq6ar:

That is a pretty good gig! I was a contractor for many years and rarely paid that kind of money out. I get 200 guys calling me for just one job at 8$ an hour here in Dallas, and the economy is not even supposed to be that bad around these parts. Things are different in California I guess...they give janitors $700,000 mortgages out there...

fatscher:

I don't think you are really insulting anyone. The realities are just different than what you posted. There are a lot of people looking for work right now, and they will work harder than you for $8 an hour.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts