Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the farm several times today hauling lumber that I get for free from building sites. The third trip I was attacked by bees. I was over 10 yards away.
I did not have a veil and such with me. I got stung 6 times. All the hive were still standing. I had walked out and looked at them when I brought the first load and they were calm and gentle towards me. What happened between loads 3 and 4 I do not know. I had to quit hauling wood because I could not get out of the car. I am going to make some asprin eggs and set them out before daylight in the morning. Something had to get them riled up. Wish I could have gotten closer to see better after the attack.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if that was the case I would have gotten stung the first load. The air around the hives was full of bees. and I was down wind from them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have had a similar experience while digging planting holes within 50' of the hives. It appears that any sustained thumping, vibration causing, activity under the correct circumstances, trigers the bees defence responce.I would assume that you were none to gentle unloading the wood scraps and the thumping caused by the wood hitting the ground irritated the bees as would knocking on the side of the hive.
Perhaps?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Asprin eggs is just that, you take an egg an punch a small hole in the small end and crush 2 regular asprins(200mg each) and put them in the egg. These eggs will kill skunks, racoons, weasels, minks, and several other varmets. The bad side is they will kill house cats. Dogs process the asprin differently and show no bad effects. So for the most part it gets what you put it out there for and nothing else.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Was your truck engine running nearby? My bees hate the sound of my husband's Jeep's engine--they don't seem to mind my Tracker. If we try to unload something from the Jeep when the engine's running, the bees will come after us. We have to turn the engine off.

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Axtman, My bees like the sweat...

They land on me and lick the salt from my skin.

They're attracted to it, not irritated by it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Gee Daisy, maybe your real sweet!

I also had them behave that way. One minute they like me next out to kill me. I think it has a lot to do with what you have eaten and what scents you have on you, perfume, after shave, under arm deodorant, etc.

Dan

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The engine was off and my 4 cyclinder car makes very little noise. I was sprinkling rain here this morning when I had a chance to go so I put it off. Going to try again in the morning. Unless it was the throwing of the wood into several piles it was not my disruption that got them going. My table saw/ ect is much louder and in the same area when in use(no room in the shed to work). Been over a year since I killed that one buckfast queen for agressive bees attacking while I was in the garden. I hope that this is not a sign of another bad queen. Just weird everything was fine after unloading the first load I walked right between the 2 rows in front of some and nothing happened. Then I get out of the car on the fourth load shut the door and I am bombed. GR smell is all around the hives so I an pretty sure the flow is on. And the 3 weeker hives have entrance reducers and no holes in my hives so robbing should have not got started. I hope to know more in the morning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts