Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

After Sunday's placement of bee's into the hive I went in to check if they had exhausted the sugar water I place and found that they had and also found this was going on on the underside of the top cover between the top cover and the frames:{ Is that normal?

When I took off the top cover bee's were all over it.

Any suggestions are truly appreciated:}

Thanks

[/url] upload img[/IMG]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Not a thing to worry about. Minimize your inspections to ones absolutely necessary. You are in too long if you have time for this kind of picture with the lid off.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
This is totally normal for the bees. The bees build the comb like that to get from place to place in the hive at times. It is called burr comb. They will build it anywhere there is more then 3/8 of an inch space. Don't worry about it. If it becomes hard to lift inner cover due to it, just scrape it off and keep it someplace. Beeswax is a good thing to keep around at times. Inspections should be just minimal in the beginning as you have just installed your bees. Wait at least another 10 days prior to going in again, as this will give your queen plenty of time to lay eggs and some to mature to capped brood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts