Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
>>>astrozombee--- i answered you both in private messages, as to not hi-jack this thread. if someone else would like the same info start a new thread asking those questions and i will post openly.<<<

Could your share your recipe for the loaf and results please?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sorry, i never saw this till i was cleaning up my inbox. But here is how i make my soft loaf, i refer to it as Fondant, although it technically is not a Fondant.
The mixer i use is an industrial meat mixer/grinder combo unit, so i can use mix only mode, the i use the grind feature to extrude the product from the hopper into a neat tube shape, but without a grinding plate or knife,

Fisher’s Fondant for Bees
Dry Ingredients
2- 50lb Bags of Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
1- 50 lb bag of Powdered Sugar 6x
2- 2 Gallon Buckets of UltraBee Pollen Sub DRY
½ Cup of Citric Acid
Liquid Ingredients
2 Gallons of Syrup
2 Quarts of Water
2 Quarts Canola Oil
Mixing Instructions
1. Put all dry ingredients into hopper, EFG Sugar, Powdered Sugar, and Pollen Sub.
2. Make sure mixer switch is in “Mix Only” position, with lid closed, press start.
Let mix one minute (Prepare Liquid ingredients during dry mixing time)
3. Press Stop
4. Once mixer has stopped open hopper lid and knock down any dry ingredients that may have not gotten mixed.
5. Add all liquid ingredients.
6. Make sure mixer selector switch is in “Mix Only” position, with lid closed, press start.
Let mix two minutes
7. After 2 minutes look inside to see if it looks thoroughly mixed. If not let mix another minute.
8. Once mixing is done, press stop button
9. Move mixer selector switch to “Mix/Grind”
10. Press Start, Mixture will start to come out bottom tube.
11. A small amount will come out unmixed, put this into a bucket for part of the dry ingredients on next batch.
12. Cut loaf of candy at 8”

Aaron

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is interesting, is this winter feed? Does this mixture stay soft or can I put in say, a candy board if its rigid enough?

·
Registered
519 Posts
You can make it a winter feed, just dial the pollen sub down to about 1%. Depending on what type of syrup you use to make this, HFCS or Sucros, will determine whether it stays soft or turns hard.
Aaron

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I once had some nucs from Aaron that came with a frame feeder with this "fondant" in it. The bees took it well, it didn't seem to encourage robbing, and it didn't seem to get covered in SHB larvae the way pollen patties often do when the bees aren't taking it quickly enough. I didn't do anything like a scientific comparison but it seemed decent overall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts