Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A gravel company is planning to build an asphalt plant in the next few months. This will be less than one mile from my home and bees. We have meet with the company president as a community to raise concerns about pollution; water, air, noise. It appears the plant will be built. I would appreciate any thoughts on the possible effects to my honey bees. Will the smell affect their foraging? Will the emissions settle on plants and affect the honey? Will pollutates get into their wax? Although regulated, these contaminates enter the environment. I am considering moving the bee to another location out of the area, but this would be very inconvenient. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Talk to your agricultural extension service to see about getting your current honey & wax tested for pollutants. I'm not sure what you'd look for. This is important to determine, because if you don't specifically look for something, the test won't show it...just like when the doctor checks your blood sugar, it doesn't tell him whether or not you are anemic or if you have an elevated PSA (prostate specific antigen--which is a good marker for prostate cancer).

If you can establish a baseline now, you'll have a basis for a future comparison with honey & wax from next year or the year after.

It is perhaps worth considering whether or not your home's property value has already tumbled to a point that you wouldn't be able to move your home to a different community. Your health is even more important than the bees'.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are in the process of scheduling a public hearing with the environmental quality agency of the state. In talking with them, the company has to meet state environmental regulations. That may not be good enough when it comes to honey bees. We are all concerned about our and our children's health and have asked many questions. The county supervisor is all for it; jobs. My concern here is the affect on bee population in the area, their honey, and wax. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Tar or asphalt is not very volatile. Heat is used to help liquefy it. I would expect fewer problems with an asphalt plant than an ag product that gets sprayed like cotton or soybeans.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Are you upwind or downwind?

Hot tar does release aromatic hydrocarbons. No idea what the production process emits.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Tar or asphalt is not very volatile. Heat is used to help liquefy it. I would expect fewer problems with an asphalt plant than an ag product that gets sprayed like cotton or soybeans.

Crazy Roland
You are right Roland.I own land next door and have an out yard next to the asphalt plant.About all you will have is the noise from the tailgates from them slamming.The biggest release is the moisture and steam coming from the wet gravel when heating to get it ready to mix in the hot asphalt.

·
Registered
788 Posts
In my area, my entire apiary thrives because there's a big mining operation. If that mining company were to sell the land, I'd be very concerned. The Jonses are more destructive than the mining company.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AR1,
We have been told the prevailing wind here are southwest to northeast. I live less than a mile north-northwest.
Thanks everyone. These post make me feel some better about not moving the hives.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A gravel company is planning to build an asphalt plant in the next few months. This will be less than one mile from my home and bees. Will the smell affect their foraging? Will the emissions settle on plants and affect the honey? Will pollutates get into their wax? Although regulated, these contaminates enter the environment. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.
As Roland said, the spraying (especially aerial) of cotton fields and other crops would be much more or an issue to me. As a salesman I spent a lot of time on the road in your area and marveled at the planes spraying the fields.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts