Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Western NC and the honey production is really low so far. My bees seem to just me maintaining what they have with little brood or eggs and the same with building any comb. I don't see alot of pollen being taken in as well. The numbers are a little low in two of four hives, but the nuc I started about a month ago is doing well. I'm in my second full season. Any idea or word from or about this area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If there isn't a strong nectar flow, I would feed them untill things pick up again. I live in N.E. FL. and we have two major flows, we're in one now (Mar.- June), and again in Aug. that lasts untill Sep., thats the norm in my area anyhoo. Can't say much about your area, although I do know that most times you don't see alot going on in the area of honey production, it's cool to feed, I've heard some old timers say that the lull between flows in an awkward year will starve the bees. Your bees will tell you how to handle them if you are sensitive to 'em, 'course you should probably take that with a grain of salt. Wish you luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it helps alot thank you. I am a recovering perfectionist and beekeeping has made me want to change. lol I have noticed sometimes I have put out a wet frame or left over wax from extraction, I either have a very few or very many bees show up. We have had a wet spring and I don't see alot of blooms of any kind. We have a rain storm amost everyday for a short period. I'm feeding two of the hives 1:1 sugar/water mix. Would you do a pollen supplement too? Thank you again for your help>

·
Registered
34 Posts
I never use a pollen substitute, not to say they don't have their place, I have just never felt the need. Some people swear by it, everyone's different what works for one will not work for another, my approach to beekeeping is the same as my approach for my kids, each child is different (hive), even though they share the same genetics (maybe a split hive) they may view things differently. It's up to us as parents (beekeepers) to yield with the little nuances that make each child (hive) unique. Let them be kids (bees), but provide a gentle direction change when needed. That being said, I do occasionally feed a brood builder when the queen is working overtime, I make it with 1 part organic soy flour, 1 part crisco and 1 part organic powdered sugar minus corn starch, but I don't think its a real big deal if it has corn starch, throw a bit on the top bars and call it good. Hope this helps as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a strong willed 11 year old son and four beehives who are always challenging to say the least. The analogies were great. My wife teaches advanced Biology in HS and I had to call her in to hear that. Thanks again for ALL the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts