Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I am new to this forum because here in Ripon we have almond season in full bloom. Every year at this time we are talking a bucket full of dead Beas out of our salt water pool? It is a sad thing and I don't know who to contact in this area about this unfortunate event. What should I be doing to help you bee keepers with this problem? I would think that it coast $ to loose bees? The bees are worrisome to children but we haven't gotten stung. Seeing swarming bees is a bit scary. Please help

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would say that unless you live in a area that has Africanized bees, they more than likely won't bother the kids. Since they found the water source, might be hard to get rid of them. Didn't know they liked salt water however. You can float small pieces of twigs or something like that in there, then they can land on that and won't drowned. That's my two cents worth :) Thanks for your concern about the bees.

·
Registered
445 Posts
There is no way to know if the bees in your pool come from a beekeeper or a wild hive. They are looking for water and they forage up to 2 miles away from home. Maybe, to educate the kids, you can put out a fresh water bird bath with some straw or wood mulch in it for the bees land on. They might prefer this to the pool water. You can also think of something thin that floats and leave it on the pool when you are not using it. Rather then thinking about the bees source, maybe you can come up with and backyard solution?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have a salt water pool and the bees were a real problem until I got smart and bought an extra bag of salt and made a salt water mud hole with a bucket of salt water sitting near it, I placed this half way between my pool and my bee yard. that cut my bee visits down by at least eighty percent.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I second stan vick's suggestion. although the bees may still visit the pool.
The bees are unlikely to switch from salt water or chlorinated water source to a new, clean source.
The likely reason is that it is easier to find water with some smell.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswater.htm

To have water more attractive than your pool you need to understand that bees are attracted to water because of several things:
• Smell. They can recruit bees to a source that has odor. Chlorine has odor. So does sewage.
• Warmth. Warm water can be taken on even moderately chilly days. Cold water cannot because when the bees get chilled they can’t fly home.
• Reliability. Bees prefer a reliable source.
• Accessibility. Bees need to be able to get to the water without falling in. A horse tank or bucket with no floats does not work well. A creek bank provides such access as they can land on the bank and walk up to the water. A barrel or bucket does not unless you provide ladders or floats or both. I use a bucket of water full of old sticks. The bees can land on the stick and climb down to the water.

If the source you provide gives them more of those things they will probably quit using the pool.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
To add to MB's, I use buckets with an old beach towel floating in and drapped over the side so they can just suck the water off like a splonge.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If you live that close to the Almond groves I'm sure you are getting bees from all the hives that have been moved in to pollinate the groves. In a couple weeks when the hives are moved again things will probably get back to normal. I think its going to be hard to keep the bees out of the pool in the mean time.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Get and old bird bath and fill it with your pool water. A bucket would work, too. If you can find some, add some old decaying leaves to it. There's something about the moisture from rotting leaves that they love. If you don't have any decaying matter, the towel will also help to keep the bees from drowning. Put a few drops of lemon grass oil in your blender full of water. Run this for 3-4 minutes. Should turn cloudy. Pour this into the bird bath or bucket. This will usually draw them away from the pool and make it the central water source for the bees instead of your pool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts