Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I am much more apt to listen to what people say than the government says. A life of experience teaches that.
Then there you go Vance, the answer to your question is clear, some people here say they are dry and some say they are not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The New England region began drying up around mid-July 2020. I watched as the weatherman started out declaring a mild drought - then the adjectives changed to, 1) Severe 2) Extreme 3) Catastrophic as the weeks went by. We did get a more normal winter than last year. April here has been a rollercoaster.

We got a couple of 70 degree days in early April then last week we had a snow storm and this past Saturday it hit 73 degrees. The trouble with those kind of temp swings is buds appear on the branches and if you get freezing temps the buds fall off. No blossoms, no nectar.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Been a dry and warm April here in Oregon. Been good for the bees to get out and work the Big Leaf Maple. But will be welcoming the rain that's coming this weekend.

Certainly hope we don't have a fire season like last year. Had a fire 3 miles away and bags packed for a week.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm in that abnormally dry area in northeast Georgia. 5-10% of our normal rainfall since early March.
Friday night and Saturday forecast calls for 1-2 inches of rain. Thank goodness. Grass and weeds starting to wilt during the day.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
65 degrees and thunderstorms yesterday here in central ME. Right now it's snowing and about 30*. 🤬

·
Registered
303 Posts
The spring blooms "flashed". Meaning they came on opened and were here about a seven day period before closing and falling. Usually we get three weeks of blooms on this first run. Now my main nectar producer, tulip popular, has blooms in the top of the tree. Its not getting better. We are supposed to have rain on Friday....

At this point I have supers getting drawn and filled but without a real pickup, I may simply go to a "make bees" position.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
We didn't even have a winter here. Went from fall to spring.

Living in the redwoods my area is considered a rainforest due to the average annual rainfall. This year we got one good atmospheric river but other than that, nothing. We currently sit at about half of average.

The flow has been intense with all the nectar available, not having storms wash it away and more days for the bees to fly than ever before. But, things are blooming a good month or more earlier than they usually do. Our Pride of Madera usually is the last thing to bloom which goes into June. It's at peak bloom now and will taper down quickly.

On top of that, our ground well started to pump dry last year and this year is going to be far worse! We've been seriously considering relocating - although love the area for the mountain biking and the ocean.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Yikes, that sounds dire @mtnmyke

We have harsh winters, and I've always found that bees breeze through winter.

Dearths not so much....

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
Having kept bees in Northern Utah and in the California dearths, I'd take Utah any day.

It's going to be a crazy long summer likely with a lot of feeding. I have no idea how I'm going to control the robbing. If I could find an area in town to move some of my Italian colonies to I wouldn't hesitate. I'm up in the mountains where the dearth is more severe. The towns seem to do much better with ornamentals and such.

Or just move. We've been considering Northern Washington.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Yeah, the town's probably better for the bees because they irrigate.

I look forward to winter, because it's almost a sure thing that the bees will survive, as long as there's no shrews.

Last year we had a pretty strong dearth, for about a month. The bees ate through a lot of feed in the summer and I even had to resort to feeding a couple of colonies.

For you? Try to find landowners in town who wouldn't mind you moving colonies in the summer.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
A month is cute. Try June - October with nothing lol

And yes, working on finding someone on the edge of town with bee friendly land to spare. Not exactly fun moving hives but if that means I don't have to feed...

·
Registered
133 Posts
It was real dry here in central florida until last week. To the point some big trees and a lot of established shrubs were dying even with irrigation. We had fairly consistent rain through February but then it got dry and hot and had several weeks of daily near record temps. We finally got a good 3 day soaking over the weekend but the damage was done. It's going to take a few weeks at least for the flowering trees and shrubs my home bees feed on to bud out. My new farm location is in a low area and fared much better so I moved most of my colonies there. They've been packing it in pretty good the last couple of weeks now that the gallberry is starting to bloom.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Very early warm up here in Central NJ-good rain patterns and the girls are out and about with dandelion, tree and other flows already. Hives look strong and I'm looking at early splits. Had a brief cool down the last two days-near freezing but look's like the 10 day say warmer and more normal-rain seems every few days.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Definitely dry now. Nectar is about half normal. Where's the swarm preparations?

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
About an inch of gentle rain this morning just as the fruit bloom is starting. God is good.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Vance, I will concede, even though the rivers are just now back in their banks, the hills are getting dry. Rain forecast this week, might get some morels.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
seems a cooler spring here, very few 65 + days to work the bees so far.
Not a drought yet.

GG

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
I'm always amazed at how varied our country can be. Some are experiencing wetter and colder than usual and others in severe drought.

The beginning of May and our grassy hills are nearly all brown. Madera is finishing bloom and I'm having to water the lawn to keep it alive.

These are usually things I see/do in Mid June!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts