Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have not had a lot of rain in Montana this spring though things are not critical because of 50" plus of early winter snow that melted into unfrozen ground. My nephew in eastern North Dakota reports they are in the field months earlier than normal--they were too wet to harvest a share of their crop last fall. Now I hear a beekeeper friend in Pennsylvania saying he is hearing of an unprecedented drought over the country. Are we doomed AGAIN or is this just normal weather variability?

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I know we have not had a lot of rain in Montana this spring though things are not critical because of 50" plus of early winter snow that melted into unfrozen ground. My nephew in eastern North Dakota reports they are in the field months earlier than normal--they were too wet to harvest a share of their crop last fall. Now I hear a beekeeper friend in Pennsylvania saying he is hearing of an unprecedented drought over the country. Are we doomed AGAIN or is this just normal weather variability?
Vance, in case you've forgotten next week is Earth Week and Earth Day is April 22. A whole week to learn about the environment, global warming erhh climate change, and the problems we all face on mother Earth.
How are you going to celebrate? any plans?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My tractor is stuck in the mud on the far side of the field. I'm wondering how long it's going to be before I can drive something else out there close enough to hook onto it and drag it out.

Reactions: LarryBud

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Vance, brutally dry in north central Alberta. Dry fall and not much snow. Spring creeks never ran and sloughs are bone dry. Worked through sloughs about two weeks ago that I worked up last fall. We're going to need a weekly rain to get any flow and crops and pastures. Weekly rains are rare here.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
creeks and rivers are swollen like normal here. Almost git stuck getting to a beeyard, had to stop and walk two, but that is also normal.. Which way did you run around the house naked??? ****wise or the other way??? Maybe you did an Alan Kulwicki...

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
2-10 frame deep Langstroth
48 Posts
Not withstanding El Nemo and the IPO, but if your friend can predict the weather he should bottle and sell it.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vance, in case you've forgotten next week is Earth Week and Earth Day is April 22. A whole week to learn about the environment, global warming erhh climate change, and the problems we all face on mother Earth.
How are you going to celebrate? any plans?
I am going to drive by a wind farm and hopefully it will be raining and watch the blades turn, busy harvesting tax credits and raising my power bill. I was just wondering how widespread drouth was this year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We're dryer than normal in Ohio, but not too dry yet. I would feel better if there was some rain in the forecast.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
the weather person said last week we are as dry las vegas nevada, not normal for this area.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It is raining here as I write this. It seems we are a little dry here, but I think we are finally back down to our average rainfall amounts.
It must be all the wind farms in Texas blowing their dry air to us. ;)

Alex

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm located in a "rainforest", no lack of water or anything, but, over the last few years the rain amount has gone down. Used to be pouring rain most days of the winter but only about once a week now.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
378 Posts
West Virginia is getting rain average twice a week. I hope it keeps up. If so the black locust and poplars are going to go gang busters.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I am going to drive by a wind farm and hopefully it will be raining and watch the blades turn, busy harvesting tax credits and raising my power bill. I was just wondering how widespread drouth was this year.
20210406_usdm.jpg
Here is the latest info I found:

Some info here too:
The Climate Prediction Center

·
Registered
36 Posts
Outside Richmond,Va. plenty of rain here. Everything is green and the bees are bringing in plenty of pollen and nector.

·
Registered
345 Posts
We are in severe drought just NW of DFW, -3+ inches of rain for the year, but supposed to get some next couple of days... Most of the weeds around here are doing poor and very dry, very little flowers except Blue bonnets and indian blanket, Needs to turn around quick, or it will be a repeat of last Spring.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With the exception of 2019 we have been in a drought since 2016. The last good honey harvest year I had was 2015 and again in 2019. Last year was dry again. This year has been dry so far. I am in Kennebunk, ME

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
With the exception of 2019 we have been in a drought since 2016. The last good honey harvest year I had was 2015 and again in 2019. Last year was dry again. This year has been dry so far. I am in Kennebunk, ME
Looks like we might be getting some wet for the weekend.

Reactions: Luke
1 - 20 of 49 Posts