Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Those ARE queen cells. And from the looks they are trying to requeen the hive. If you have had the package only for a few weeks and everything else looks good, you could probably start yourself a small NUC from them, or if the queen isn't producing propperly, just leave things alone and they will take care of the rest...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks drlonzo I'm going to let it be if they want a new queen I will let them have her

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks sqkcrk you said older capped cells how old do you think they are why I ask is I seen the old queen last Saturday and today I could not find her
so do the bees kill her then requeen

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Queens should emerge in 7 days. The queen you saw was probably dispatched some time since you last saw her. She could still be some where in the hive even. But she won't be for long.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Not only is that a queen cell (picture 2), it's a textbook classic queen cell. Simply lovely. Even I could spot it. Some of the ones in the first picture are worth a peek from the underside to see if they're open or closed. A little one that is open is just a queen cup.

Honestly, I wish our books had pictures of some of the weird ones you encounter much of the time. When they're buried down the side of crazy-comb they can be harder to spot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts