Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
requeened an ob hive about 8 days ago. Hive was reluctant to accept this new mated queen, and actually completely removed one of her wings in the process of bullying her before they finally decided to accept her.Anyway my concern is that all of the brood had been emerged 3-4 days when she was first put in, so consequently my nurse bees are all at least 14 days old now as my queen has just finally started laying, but is now going gang busters.I would add some brood if I had any on medium frames which is what I built ob hive to take. I am just wondering if these bees reaching foraging age are capable of tending to impending young??? Also interesting to note, one of the first eggs she laid was in a supercedure cell they had started... appreciate any thoughts on the matter, thanks,Doug

·
Registered
918 Posts
Not to worry. Even though the nurse bees are already old clendar-wise they are still young physiologically since they have had no brood to take care of. They are still young enough to take care of any brood that develops. They will care for any brood rather than take to foraging as their age suggests that they do.

Since your queen is damaged, they may have decided to supercede her immediately.

[ August 29, 2006, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: carbide ]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appreciate the reply, had read somewhere that they were no longer able to make royal jelly after 2-3 weeks, but what you are saying seems to be the case as Im starting to see milky substance in bottoms of most egg laden cells..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts