Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is going on?

I have been out of town for 3 weeks. Before Leaving I went in and flipped brood boxes with both hives upper box full of brood and eggs and the bottom boxes with some but not full like the top boxes.

I looked at them this morning and normal but this afternoon at 2 I have this look on the Baton Rogue queen. I was planning to work them tomorrow as I have a baby reception at the house.

What do you think? Keep an eye on and go into them tomorrow looking for queen cells or ? I live in the Houston Texas area. Do?

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been out of town for 3 weeks. Before Leaving I went in and flipped brood boxes with both hives upper box full of brood and eggs and the bottom boxes with some but not full like the top boxes.

I looked at them this morning and normal but this afternoon at 2 I have this look on the Baton Rogue queen. I was planning to work them tomorrow as I have a baby reception at the house.

What do you think? Keep an eye on and go into them tomorrow looking for queen cells or ? I live in the Houston Texas area. Do?

I have been in the Bee weaver hive two times and from working bees with blue latex gloves and lite weight pants all last year to two pair of pants and shirts and my old 1960's heavy wt plastic covered gloves. The bee weaver queen was very easy as the other hive was to work last year but three times I had 30-40 stinger in the gloves and my clothes plus 20 30 followed me all over me up to 100 yards away. Today the reducer had fallen off and there was some robbing so I replaced the piece and hoed around the front of both hives and was attacked like crazy I did not open either hive and did have some smoke. This was a split off my original nuc from last year which had a Baton rogue queen installed which lays better than my BWeaver

What could have happened to make the BW's so darn mean? Easy going bees with one shirt plus hooded shirt and lite wt pants all of last year to work both hive to needing heavy duty gear and lots of pissed bees sting all over you?

Jim

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I think your reducer being out is a very good indication of predators. Probably skunk, 'possum or racoon.

Alex

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
In three weeks you could have hatched a huge pile of bees. Big hives are uglier than their smaller selves. And yes on the moved reducer, open it up. What do you have for spare equipment?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Did they go queenless? The hive will be louder and meaner. Your temp isn't that high yet. Try tipping the boxes to see if they have put swarm cells along the bottoms of the frames. My guess is that if they still have the queen and that many are hanging out, they will swarm soon without intervention. Checker-boarding in another box calmed several of mine down. Just be sure to remove ALL queen cells if you do it or they will probably still go through with the swarm.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Three weeks ago in both hives the top deep was soild brood, eggs and honey and the bottom deep was about 50 pounds and the few frames had little honey but fair amt of brood and eggs. I had flipped the boxes and added a med pulled supper on both. I had a lot of bees and there was a ton of capped brood.

I have been watching the box and it appears that the bees swarmed and moved to the top cover where I had placed an election sign to give the hives more rain protection. The sigh sticks out 6-7 inches and the bees have moved up to form a good sized ball there.

I am afraid they will take off in the am and how can you work a hive where there are that many bees up under the cover? I have two deep spare boxes and a top and bottom so I can try to catch this swarm but did not want them to swarm because I did not want to keep but 2 boxes.

Never seen a swarm stay on the box
but I had never seen a feral queen try to get into a box either and she did not come from either of my hives because it was a big yellow queen and my bees are smaller and darker till last year and this was a small July after swarm on the board of this hive and the minute I uncovered the queen the workers jumped all over her and killed her.

How would you do it? Use a shipping box to sweep all the bees into and put them in the spare double deeps with a few frames.

Suggestions welcomed.

Also curious why the bees in the other hive are so mean this year. They are starting to look Africianized As aggressive as they have gotten.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
They are clustered on the sign I see in your Photo? I would pick up the sign and shake them into the spare. You do not need to get them all, they will call the rest in. You will need to get the rest of the frames filled out before they make a mess.

They would probably march in if you just slid the spare onto the top of the hive.

Your swarming is not over.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looked a few minutes ago and the bulk are hanging under the over hang and stuck to the front of the hive but the small ball is below the hive entrance. The should shake/ brush easily but a lot are stuck on the hive too. but I hate to lose my best queen to a swarm box. I really do not want three hives.

Two is fun three starts to be work. When I had bees in the old days with two deeps and two medium super I got around 12 gallons of honey from my two boxes in the old days.

The question is there a problem with the queen? flying since they all moved up the box and did not move a short distance off? Not seen this action before but in the old days the bees seemed to take care of them selves unless you screwed up and did something stupid.

I have two deeps now with foundation to put them in if they will stay.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is misty here and most of the bees went back into the hive so now is the time to do something before the bees pop back out. NOTE the whole hive is buzzing differently that before.

What? Checkerboard and add a third deep and clean up all or any queen cells and do a

Checker board and move some frames over to a deep nuc or 10 frame and see if the queens if any will do their thing?

Let them swarm and go back to bed? It has been three+ weeks since I flipped the deeps so I have no idea what the bees have done with the pulled and cleaned out frames on the med that I put on both deeps. I also have two new supers with frames and plastic I can put on top.

Opinions?

Note on the reducer as it was not a good fit and not in all the way. No animal problem.

Thabnks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Jim, you are way past the increase the brood box size stage. Those bees will swarm the first time it is dry and sunny. Probably today. I would have a box ready and start scooping them up, or catch the queen in a clip and set her in the new box. Grab a beer and watch them march in. If you do not want three hives, wait until the new queen starts laying, and then sell or give the swarm away. Until then, you have your original queen as a backup.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Not looking into the hives and no one has for 3 weeks. Agree with JW on the next swarm. Expect there are a line of swarms in both hives waiting their turn.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is clearing up so I am out to see what is in both boxes starting with the Baton Rogue queen box. I was out of the country the afternoon that I rotated the boxes till yesterday.
I have extra boxes that I put together and painted last night so I have extra med and extra frames and deeps.

Thanks for the help.

We will see since I have worried about it the whole time that I was gone. Jim

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SB Are you sure the old male dogs like old guys just cannot hear the command to do the trick. ;)

Follow up.
The next morning the swarm had gone back into the hive. I am guessing that they sprayed for misquotes late that night as there was a quart to 1 1/2 quart of dead bees around the front of the hive. I went into the hive and cleaned up things found 7-8 queen cells and cleaned out all but three, one capped and two close and put them some honey and bees into a spare nuc. The questions are did the queen die with the others? Should I have left the cells incase she died or hope that they will start another one if so and I still have the nuc as stand by. Nuc was working today with a few bees working. Heck we will maybe the queen is in the nuc. I have trouble seeing them. Both boxes have lost all the weight from a month ago and both boxes had lots capped brood and few larva. Lots of been in both deeps.

I killed all the queen cells in the BW box. I have been stung more messing with this hive in 4 visits than I had all last year.

I had double coverage with jeans and coveralls but after the first frame was pulled I was eat up as I had not taped my pants and they were all over the hood which is a cheap one and stinging me when ever the hood touched me. I had to go into the house with bees following and clean up tape the pants and put on a hat and cover to go back and work them. I was covered all over with stinging bees.
I had no problems withe the Baton Rogue queen box and could probably do like I did last year with neophrene gloves and single coverage.
As I taped the shorter coveralls I had probably 30 stingers in the gap between them and the jeans. Last time with the cheap leather gloves they looked dotted all over with the stingers.

I usually wear what ever pants and a long sleeve shirt and cheap hood and surgery gloves from work.

The BWeaver queen box was very similar with a few less bees but most are pissed off.

I went out and cleaned up my shed and rearranged gear. Went over to the bees and just pushed enough to straighten up the super on the hot box and had bees bubbling out and 15 went with me back over to the shed. There is not bumping just straight to an all out stinging attack any time you mess with them inc standing around the hive by a few..

I have heard that some BW queens can get mean or do you think I have the hive has some how moved toward African.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Jim, if you are not sure about having a queen, there may not be any young enough larvae in the hive for them to make one. Typically the queen stops laying several days before the swarm. Might want to check again tomorrow and then put one of the uncapped cells back in as an insurance policy. Of course, if you see your queen, you do not want to do this.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was going to wait a week and see what is going on. Nuc is working and going. With my luck the queen died with the bug spray or was on one of the frames that I put in the nuc. It was a crap shoot. Hopefully I have the queen alive in the big box but? I fig with the nuc I probably have queen either way.

I donot know what to do with this mean box. When pissed they all want to sting. you in mass. But to bump a box over and have bees after you and it is 25 yards to my shed ALL wanting to sting you. ??

I was going to go back in on Saturday and see what is going on in the nuc and BR box.

First time the wife gets stung I will be doing something to the hot box and re-queening may not be the quick ans.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Bees hanging out under the overhang, pile of dead bees sudden change in temperment. My thought is usurpation swarms. I am useless there.

If you think that is a real possibility a new thread on how to deal with that might be in order.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish I could find out. My wife told me no hot bees. The beeweavers can be mean but to go from single lite pants and shirt to double layers and having to tape the legs and put on a cap to keep them from sting thru the cheap bee shirt is strange but both are about half the weitht they were when I went out of town. I thought that might be the problem but the BR box is as calm as they were last year.

But to have 30-40 bees follow you to the door at 70 yards all trying to sting you serious. To go in the house I had to put the hose on mist to knock the bees off to go into the house.

I had a ferel queen show up trying to get into the BR box with a small fist size swarm of bees. Found her when I looked in the ball. Big yellow queen where both my queens are smaller and darker. The hive jumped on her before I could do anything and killed her. Thought about a split.

I will look Saturday to see what I have.
Did the queen die with the spray? Is she in the nuc or hive? Nuc had working bees yesterday.

What is wrong with the hot hive? Africanized some way? Not a lot of feed causing mean bees? Easy going bees to attacking immediately and following you 70 to 100 yards still pissed and a few still hanging around 20 minutes later.

It will be a fun dump thru a qeen excluder as mad as they are to find and change queens if they attack opening the box and pulling a frame or just setting a box over straight.

Strange season starting up. Opinions?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts