Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know your opinion on what is happening here.

These bees have been without a queen for one week. I found and killed two capped queen cells. The moment I set the cages down on the frames, you can see what happened. Are they trying to help or hurt the new queens?

Big Thank You! to Hambone for helping me learn how to post the pics directly.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
take you finger and try and push them away. If they move away easily, then they are probably rtrying to help her. If not, I'd say the exaxt opposite. Its pretty evident when they are trying to hurt her. They will be trying to sting, bite and anything else!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Are you trying to introduce two queens too the same hive?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If those are the JZsBZs plastic queen cages, if they're being aggressive to the queen, I've almost always seen that at least one of them will force their head through the plastic cage bars, sometimes this even causes the bee that did it to lose their head or just die trapped there. I've not seen this head issue when the bees are accepting of the queen.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I was looking in foreground and thinkin they're out to do some damage but in the background you see the one worker fanning and lot less bees on the cage. So I've got to second the motion why two queen cages on the same hive?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two queen cages in the same hive so that the bees will feed, and take care of them. I plan on one of the queens to go to a cutout I started yesterday. It's strictly temporary until I can get the second queen into the cutout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts