Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know it varies highly from person to person, but how long did it take you (y'all) to get desensitized to stings?
Well remember a "normal" reaction is localized redness, inflammation, swelling, itchiness. That's what most people would experience with a bee sting. Working with swarms and wild bees here in west, central TX I come across some downright ornery bees at times and some days get a dozen stings then can go weeks (or months in the winter) with no stings. I've noticed overall my body reacts less than it used to. I now have minimal swelling or redness. I tend to feel itchy and have a little more pinkish area around the sting site but usually the next day the sting site is back to normal. I rarely take Benadryl or anything and if I do it's for sinus congestion and allergies not bee stings. I figure my body can and should process the bee venom and it does. If I get a facial sting I might ice it for 20 minutes until I get bored. This does seem to prevent/minimize inflammation and swelling but that's as far as I go in terms of treating a bee sting (or multiple stings even). I once got an Epi Pen for safety but it's 2 years expired. I carry it still just in case some bystander is facing death from a sting if they're watching a swarm collection or something.

Erik, near Abilene, TX

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The FIRST step, is to admit you have a problem...:lpf:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Soo it's been 3 days since my last bee sting.... lol , the swelling wasn't too bad it just looked like I was turning Japanese.... :) but the itching was relentless and really annoying I will still proceed to let the bees fly around me during their training flights, I find it kind of majestic in a way if I get stung or not

·
Registered
638 Posts
I find it exhillirating in the retelling of the stings. When it's actually happening..no..it hurts! Nor do I find it addictive. I'll go into my hives gloveless but by the 3rd or 4th sting, I'm putting my gloves on and to heck with the machoism! Maybe one day I'll feel diffrent. Read a excerpt from a Dadant story about how growing up.....he avoided his dads hives cuz he didnt like getting stung. Wonder how he felt about it later in life? Probably no diffrent!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hehe funny but I'm with you nathan, there is something invigorating after the initial whack it makes me feel invigorated and kinda healthy in an odd way ,,, gawd am i weird lol:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
talk about timing, I went to take a look at my 2 - 1st year hives an hour ago and while looking at a drone on the ground in front of the hives, one of the ladies stung me on the outer edge of my ear. its only the 4th sting of my short first season as a keep, but definitely the most memorable so far. as far as feeling good and almost addictive.....I vote no.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The positive attitude is a good thing, for those without dangerous allergies. Maybe it is only the placebo effect, but thinking "that one will be good for my arthritis" helps take the sting out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe I'm a weenie, but I suit up everytime no matter what I'm doing. Yes I wear gloves too. Honestly I'm not sure why somone would take the chance of getting stung if they don't have to. I don't like pain. It hurts (wierd right?). I have yet to be stung. I'm sure it will happen, but the fewer the experiences the better. And the idea of sticking my hand into the hive to get stung on purpose? No offense but I find that just plain silly.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I'm with the "maybe that one will be good for my arthritis" camp. I don't go in there asking for a sting, but I've got this curious hobby of keeping stinging insects, and I know I'll get stung from time to time. If this bothered me, I'd never have started.

I have protective gear and I wear it when I think I'm doing something that bothers the bees. That means, every time I visit my mentor's bees (they got attitude!), and every time I open our own hives. However, I can check the top feeders on our hives, or stand near them and watch, with no problem at all, so far. How will I know when this is no longer a good idea? By the sting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm with the "maybe that one will be good for my arthritis" camp. I don't go in there asking for a sting, but I've got this curious hobby of keeping stinging insects, and I know I'll get stung from time to time. If this bothered me, I'd never have started.

I have protective gear and I wear it when I think I'm doing something that bothers the bees. That means, every time I visit my mentor's bees (they got attitude!), and every time I open our own hives. However, I can check the top feeders on our hives, or stand near them and watch, with no problem at all, so far. How will I know when this is no longer a good idea? By the sting.
you will know this is no longer a good idea when out of the blue a handful of bees will come at you like kamikazes and they won't take shoo or arm waving as a deterrent and if the numbers grow attacking you as mine did early season methinks its time to requeen :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my first sting today, on my eye lid of all places. Besides the initial pain of the sting the tingle feeling afterwards is kind of relaxing and almost addictive in a way. Is it just me or does anyone else have this experience
yes, I have felt this too. only from certain kinds of bees/hornets, and only after multiple stings. never after just one sting. I feel a slight euphoria, semi hullucegenic feeling. ( im a recovering addict, im well aware of drugs and the feelings they bring) and its comparable to some bee sting experiences.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've never found that it felt good, but I have noticed that after getting a couple stings early in the season the rest don't seem nearly as bad, almost like building up a resistance to the sting. I always use a veil, can't stand the thought of getting stung around my eyes. But suiting up (top only) is pretty easy so I do so more often then not. Right now my hives run the gambit from VERY MEAN, waiting for the new queen to make a difference to very calm. The mean ones make you wonder why you ever started bee keeping then you work some nice ones and remember why.

Reactions: ncbeez

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Hi, my name is Ray, and I just came in from the beeyard where I purposefully got 2 stings in my right jaw bone area to help reduce pressure in my jaw and ear. It works pretty good for me. Do the stings hurt? Yes, kind of, but nothing like the nerve and muscle pains I live with daily from back spine injuries. A beesting pain is a walk in the park with an ice cream cone in comparison. But it's not the pain of the sting, it's the reduced tiredness and more wakefullness I feel when I get a sting. That's what I mean when it feels good to get stung, not the sting itself, but the change in attitude and well being it brings that is the positive. Along with the greatly reduced pains and pressures from past injuries. Heck, with these 2 stings, I might just skip my afternoon nap today!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Cant say i enjoy stings one bit and i have probably overreacted in the past in terms of running around like a pork chop when i got stung because whilst the anticipation of the sting isnt great lets be honest its just NOT THAT PAINFUL. Sure it burns a little but for me that last literally minutes. I get no redness, no swelling, no itching ...nothing. I think i can attribute that to my pitiful beekeeping skills the first year or two where getting a dozen stings in an hour or two in the yard was quite normal. I often take stings when im taking my bee suit off but again apart from a brief "sting" feeling there is no other reaction to it. Wasnt like that year one...i would swell up and itch for bloody days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Step 1. We admitted we were powerless over honeybees—that our lives had become unmanageable.

Good grief. That sounds pretty accurate.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts