Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I know we are all fans of Elementary ... Holmes keeps bees in a very nice observation hive. And he is a recovering drug addict in a 12-step program. And we know that is a load of malarkey because keeping bees is clearly addictive. And now we have one more addiction to worry about.

God, give me grace to accept with serenity
the frames that should not be changed,
Courage to change the frames
which should be changed in a hot hive,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Inspecting one hive at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting my smoker as a tool to peace,
Taking, as Langstroth did,
This world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that the bees will make all things right,
If I surrender to their will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And the bees can be happy in theirs.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The stings don't feel good but the effects can. I've had shoulder pain for about 10 years and while I was robbing bees a couple of weeks ago I got stung about a dozen times on the ankle. An hour later I noticed zero shoulder pain. Absolutely none. The next day the pain came back but the effects of those stings really felt good.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Since we haven't heard back from Nathan, I assume it means his eyes are swelled shut.

Just kidding, I can't talk, year #3 and I've never been stung. Thank you Brushy Mtn. bee suit. I may keel over from heat stroke, but probably not from a sting.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Since we haven't heard back from Nathan, I assume it means his eyes are swelled shut.

Just kidding, I can't talk, year #3 and I've never been stung. Thank you Brushy Mtn. bee suit. I may keel over from heat stroke, but probably not from a sting.
See Michael Palmer's YouTube video regarding beekeeping families and allergy rates. His daughter got stung and had an allergic reaction, he seemed to at least in part attribute this to the fact that his family is frequently exposed to "bee stuff", but they are not stung frequently. So their bodies build up and when a sting finally happens it causes a bad problem.

He mentions bee keeping families having much higher rates of bee allergy than the general population.

It's worth a listen and it certainly made sense to me. I think he said they all get stings weekly now? It's called "Michael Palmer on the importance of being stung" or something like that.

Truthfully, it isn't all that bad, I've been stung a handful of times. The swelling and itching are a pain, but they seem to have dropped off quite a bit even with the few I've taken this year. It seems like you can be playing with fire a little bit not knowing how you react to them, best to get a few and realize you react badly than to skip joyfully through thinking "I'll never get stung!" only to forget a zipper or something once and get nailed a dozen times to find out you have trouble breathing.

We have a couple of EpiPens just in case.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I find them helpful for the arthritis in my neck.
Sometimes I feel a bit of a rush for a couple of minutes after the sting.
Not scary, but strong.
Histamines ?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My wrinkles disappear when I get stung in the face.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
After developing an immunity to bee venom (little swelling or itching), I found that more than a dozen stings to the ankle made it feel really good. It's a good, soothing, warmish feeling and feels like the circulation is really stepped up. Feels kinda buzzy! lol But man, we itched like monkeys until the immunity built up.
I know it varies highly from person to person, but how long did it take you (y'all) to get desensitized to stings?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Do you have a link to that, Camero? I'm semi-fascinated by the way the body reacts to this kind of stuff.
The degree of sensitization of BKs against HBV is
strongly related to the annual number of stings. When
BKs are stung often, they appeared to be protected,
whereas when BKs receive few stings, they often present
allergic symptoms (Figs. 1 and 2). According to
the present data, 50 stings a year appear to be a minimal
number for protection. When BKs were stung by
more than 200 HBs a year, the allergic risk was absent

The annual
number of stings is critical because when BKs receive
less than 25 stings a year, the sensitization is maximal,
and when BKs receive more than 200 stings a
year, the desensitization is optimal.

Bousquet, J., Ménardo, J. L., Aznar, R., Robinet-Lévy, M., & Michel, F. B. (1984). Clinical and immunologic survey in beekeepers in relation to their sensitization. Journal of allergy and clinical immunology, 73(3), 332-340.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Of all the stings that I have got, I did not recognize any of the feel-good chemicals. They hurt me from the time of the sting, until its gone......

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Ok, just to be clear, we did not have any allergy to bee venom and we tested with a short sting before we began the very first time. We started apitherapy and stung 3x a week and started slow, adding a few more stings each time. Apitherapist said it would take about 2 weeks to develop immunity, but we took 4 weeks as we didn't have the stings to a high enough level.

·
Registered
133 Posts
See Michael Palmer's YouTube video regarding beekeeping families and allergy rates. His daughter got stung and had an allergic reaction, he seemed to at least in part attribute this to the fact that his family is frequently exposed to "bee stuff", but they are not stung frequently. So their bodies build up and when a sting finally happens it causes a bad problem.

He mentions bee keeping families having much higher rates of bee allergy than the general population.

It's worth a listen and it certainly made sense to me. I think he said they all get stings weekly now? It's called "Michael Palmer on the importance of being stung" or something like that.

Truthfully, it isn't all that bad, I've been stung a handful of times. The swelling and itching are a pain, but they seem to have dropped off quite a bit even with the few I've taken this year. It seems like you can be playing with fire a little bit not knowing how you react to them, best to get a few and realize you react badly than to skip joyfully through thinking "I'll never get stung!" only to forget a zipper or something once and get nailed a dozen times to find out you have trouble breathing.

We have a couple of EpiPens just in case.

Here's Michael's Utube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0QB96RrGdM

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hi, my name is Colobee. it's been trrhee daze sinz my laz strimng, an im not missin it much.

My back hurtz as ushual. 'Scuz me I think im gonna go moon my beez

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Bee stings as botox? LOL.

I have heard beeks should get stung in order to prevent allergic issues, but I have a really hard time sticking my hand in there and allowing it to get stung. Kind of like getting blood drawn - bleh. Older beekeepers have advised that if you have never gotten stung, to take a few bees in a baggie and drive to the emergency room parking lot. Get stung, then quickly walk in the door, just in case you do have a reaction. I have never been stung by a honeybee that I know of, so it is a little risky not doing this.

50-200 stings a year? I don't know whether I'd do that, regardless.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts