Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feels like they are to me.

I got this one hive right now that is queenless and really hot. They killed the package queen (after she was in a cage for 3 days). Trying again with a caged queen but on a frame of brood w/eggs, lets see if that calms them down.

When one of my hives starts acting 'hot' generaly it seems they are queenless. That generaly true?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yes they will be meaner when queenless. Especially if they are unable to produce another by themselves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
By "unable to produce another" you mean without age-appropriate eggs or larva to start with?

Is there any reason why they would not be able to requeen themselves so long as they're given eggs and uncapped larva?

·
Registered
504 Posts
A queenless hive is almost always more nasty, but a nasty hive is not always queenless. There are many reasons why a hive gets defensive - queenlessness is just one of them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My recently queenless hive was a little testy but not nasty. They were loud on comb and did a lot of head butting, but I didnt take any stings. I did add a frame of eggs and larve and they almost immediatly calmed down. Now they have 2 queen cells capped, and I found eggs on another frame from the one that i put in. Multiple eggs in a few cells, many with just one, and all attatched to the bottom. I think they had a second queen in the package, unmarked, and they killed the marked queen that came in the cage. I may be wrong though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts