Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tests to increase resistance to a given active substance, whatever it may be, have a well-defined protocol. Protocol that is beyond my reach to apply. That said, where I have been having difficulty controlling varroosis is in the late summer / early fall, and not every year. In light of this experience, I tend to agree that varroas seem to be more resistant in autumn than in spring. On this particular aspect, if you wish to give your testimony I am very grateful. Assuming that the thesis is confirmed that varroas are in fact more resistant in autumn than in spring, the first implication that comes to my mind is that the dosage of acaricide, whatever it may be, must be higher in the summer / autumn treatment of than in spring. It doesn't seem so bizarre that there may be generations of varroas that are more resistant in autumn than in spring, just as there are bees that live only 35 to 40 days and others (winter ones) that can live more than 120 days.

What I found most surprising in this video was what researcher Frank Rinkevich says from the minute 22 and 35 seconds in response to the question: are mites more or less resistant in different months of the year?

Vídeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=F5zy3rU8dfY&feature=emb_logo

The data collected and presented indicate that the mites tested in the months of October and November 2018 are less susceptible / sensitive, that is, they are more resistant to amitraz than the mites collected in the same apiary (Baton Rouge) in the months of April and May of the year Following. Data of great interest in my opinion that deserve to be revisited through further investigation.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My question and thoughts togather as follows. I thinkncertain times of the year the population booms and gets higher. Therefore more mites to get rid.of, and therefore more chances of certain pesticide resistance chances there are.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts