Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have only Kelley equipment and am quite happy with it. However, Dadant has a location closer to me and I can avoid those criminal shipping charges.
So, I'm wondering if I buy some medium frames or boxes from Dadant if they'll be interchangable with my Kelley supplies. I was thinking of getting a 5 frame medium nuc also.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I've got some of both along with some from Better Bee and Orr. They're all interchangable from my view.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So far I have only Kelley equipment and am quite happy with it. However, Dadant has a location closer to me and I can avoid those criminal shipping charges.
So, I'm wondering if I buy some medium frames or boxes from Dadant if they'll be interchangable with my Kelley supplies. I was thinking of getting a 5 frame medium nuc also.
Just get the commercial or select equipment and you'll be fine. Economy class is iffy.

Bishop

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
The basic stuff, boxes, frames, covers, bottom boards etc should all be interchangable.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I'm not sure, but the dado on the brood boxes (the shelf where the frame sits) may be cut different on the two... Kelley uses a metal rabbet that lifts the frame off the rabbet... Dadant uses a simple L shaped metal rest. Might make a difference where the bee space ends up in the hive - above or below the frame in the box. Just check it out for yourself.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
If you do not have discriminating tastes, they are the same. If you are particular, there are differences that are noticeable, such as foundation fitting each other's frames.

Roland

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
If you do not have discriminating tastes, they are the same.
Tells me where I stand. I once had a problem putting Dadant wax foundation in Kelley frames....but that same foundation didn't fit the Dadant frames either. Otherwise nada. A lack of discriminating tastes on my part, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Tells me where I stand. I once had a problem putting Dadant wax foundation in Kelley frames....but that same foundation didn't fit the Dadant frames either. Otherwise nada. A lack of discriminating tastes on my part, I'm sure.
I will say I have had that exact problem too. I had to get some additional Kelly frames to use the Kelly foundation. It was annoying and I had to remember where I got the foundation. It was a bit of a educated guess that I got lucky with.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Beemandan - you DO have good tastes, you found the situation not to your liking.
Just because something "goes together", does not mean that it "fits".

Roland

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
There was a comparision done some years ago. The bee-space was either "top", "bottom", or split. The space of my boxes is at the top; the bottom bars are flush with the bottom of the box.

I'm interested to know if the Kelley frame rest provides "bottom space"...

I tried to find the study of different supplier's equipment but I haven't found it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can tell you that the Mann Lake stuff is different. If you measure the hive bodies from the lip where the frames sit on to the bottom they are different.
Which messes up your spacing.
I think the bee supply companies do this so you will stick to there brand.

I decides to stick with kelly because I have 10 of their hives. I have 2 Mann Lakes and I always have to make sure I put on their supers on those hive bodies. It's a pain.
So if it was me pick a company and stick with it.

I just take a drive to Kellys about once or twice a year to save on shipping.

Good luck
Bruce

1 - 12 of 12 Posts