Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...this probably doesn't come up very much.

This year, the Arbor Day Foundation sent me a 2019 Utah Tree Survey. I've never gotten them from them before. I've also never given them any money, and I'm not on one of those sucker lists that telemarketers call.

I guess they somehow got hold of my name from buying customer information from seed companies that I've ordered from in the last 5 years. (I do a lot of gardening.)

Anyway, if you do this survey, they send you X free trees to put up.

Is this a gimmick?

Now supposedly if I do it, its free trees, but not sure if there's a catch either on shipping cost, or you can put them up anywhere but your own yard? Who knows?

Now if this thing is real, for Utah and my region they would send '10 free flowering trees'.

Flowering trees means bee feed right?

This list says my area would get either; flowering crabapples, redbuds, washington hawthorns, or white dogwoods....

So is this for real, or some kind of scam?

If its real, is every state doing this and getting flowering trees for their region?

It seems like this would be a cool thing if these types of trees are bee food trees. Are they?

Thought I'd ask.

And this benefits others, (only if its not a scam of some kind), because if they are doing something in your areas also that means free bee food right?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
We've gotten free trees from the Arbor Day Foundation occasionally......they are very small (usually around 12" tall), but will grow if planted & taken care of. I think my wife usually makes a small donation for the freebee trees.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have been a donor to the Arbor Day Foundation for years and what you got is probably not a scam. They do give out loads of free trees but they will also like and ask for a donation. The only thing beyond that I can tell you is that the trees will be very small (usually less than 2 feet tall) and it will be years before they flower and give you any amount of bee food. The dogwoods I got from them 5 years ago are now about 3 feet tall and the sourwood tree I got 2 years ago is still under 3 feet tall. It is a fine organization that does fine work and I encourage people to donate but the size of the free trees are a bit of a disappointment. If you really want to plant bee food, get it from the local nursery. It wont be free but you will get flowers (bee food) 10 years sooner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts