Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hived a swarm in April, fed it a about a gallon, with an entrance feeder a quart at a time- they really weren't interested in the syrup, so I stopped feeding. I've another hive at home I gave a quart to during a 5day rain, and it was sucked down in hours. The slow hive is in a swampy area with mangroves, cabbage palm, palmetto, etc 30 minutes away. The mangrove and cabbage have been blooming for at least a couple weeks. The bees have not filled a deep box yet, but are working slowly on frames. I gave them two frames of brood at the start, and used plasticell, cut into two inch starter strips (swarm caught me off guard and couldn't find any foundation fast) about a week ago I replaced four frames the bess had not touched with full, new plasticell, painted with local beeswax to get a little extra start.

I'm wondering if I should pinch the queen and see what happens, or let them axe her when they think they should:scratch:

I just made a top style feeder that hold 4 mason jars, and am also wondering about juicing them up, in hopes for a build up for Sept/Oct Pepper flow.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
There's no heavy flow right now so the bees are slow at drawing comb. If you requeen you'll lose more time. I'd just let them do their thing as they see fit. Some hives build fast, others slower. It's called Nature. :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
+1 on feeding them, or just let em ride? I've only two colonies and am anxious to get this one strong enough to split

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
A swarm started in april should be way more populated than what you are describing. They sound sick to me. Not taking feed and starting as a swarm sounds like a heavy Nosema C infection.

How many frames of brood, not with brood, does this colony have now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts