Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with taxes and without bees.

For all of you (like me) who lost their bees this winter, I know how hard it is to watch spring unfold in all its magnificent glory without them participating.

Keep trying.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I will be getting two new colonies from FatBeeMan in May to replace my first and only hive which died this winter. I can't wait! :)

But meanwhile, I'm happy watching my solitary native bees coming and going form the new nesting boxes I put up a few weeks ago. The females are nesting already! :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your Mason setup is interesting, our pesty carpenter bees here in the south have no problem making their own (not-so-little) holes, usually in the facia of the roof.

Good luck with the new honey bees

·
Registered
206 Posts
Amen Brother... I'm waiting on swarm season.

·
Registered
706 Posts
tell me about it I got new nucs comming thursday and its is going to be a spring hurricain with snow ugh.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
How true it is April tax deadlines and no bees.
Perhaps those who lost their bees can go back over their hive records and fine tune their management in the following areas:
feeding of syrup and pollen supplements
mite control methods and timing
using IPM
foulbrood control measures
ant control and other predators
making some robbing screens
fall preparation for wintering
re-queening
making nucs and or divides
swarm prevention
Best of luck this year.
Ernie

·
Registered
211 Posts
I lost both of my backyard hives this winter. The swarm I caught from a bee tree survived as did the bees in the tree. I'm looking forward to swarm season as well. I'm building some nucs today or tomorrow to put out as swarm traps. We shall see. One thing is for sure though: try, try again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
April is cruel, but only because my first two packages won't be here until May. And what a beautiful April it has been to date.

I was watching some bees flitting around various blossoms yesterday and again this morning. Small, dark bees with a hearty buzz to intimidate the non-admirers. Some had gathered quite a bit of pollen, a nice orange/brown. Are they satisfying some other beek? Ferals? Who knows. But, for once, I can say something with certainty here...they are not mine.

Yet.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My hive is ready but just found out last night that bees wont be here til 21st. Should I put it out now and see if it lures a swarm or just wait? My husband opines that i could find myself with a hive of yellow jackets if I put one out now.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I was watching some bees flitting around various blossoms yesterday and again this morning. Small, dark bees with a hearty buzz to intimidate the non-admirers. Some had gathered quite a bit of pollen, a nice orange/brown. Are they satisfying some other beek? Ferals? Who knows.
If they are noticeably smaller than honeybees, they might be a solitary native bee species. My solitary bees are nesting now in my boxes, busily going back and forth, bringing in pollen. They are dark and fly fast and have a very hearty BUZZZ! :D So sweet!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that you have as much chance of attracting a swarm of honey bees in your (previously) unused hive as winning the lottery (I get the same as the IRS - 0% if I'm wrong or right) - you get the same as if I was the IRS & you're right (50%).

Don't fret about it - other than the mice, yellow jackets, ants, lizards, scorpions, spiders and other critters looking for a safe, empty hole to crawl into. Put your hive(s) in place - admire them and be happy - chase out the big critters & your bees, when they arrive, will handle the rest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts