Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, What is the best method of applying wax to plastic foundation and can you put to much on? I am using a cheap brush and started wondering.
THANKS
Scott

·
Registered
328 Posts
I get cheap brushes from Harbor Freight. I melt the wax in a double boiler and brush it on...The thicker it goes on the more you use.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I melt it in an old crock pot that is metal and sits on the heating element.

Use a 4" paint roller. Dip and roll. If you are carefull and not heavy handed you can actually draw out the comb.

You can purchase extra rollers in a 4 pack for almost nothing. I get them at Lowe's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input, I think I'm more worried about amount i am putting on the foundation, Do I just want to just get some wax on the top of each cell or is it ok if that cells fills up some? I only have a few hives and was given alot of beeswax so quantity is not a problem.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Put it on so that all of the foundation is covered. If some cells get solid with wax it's okay. They will put it where they want. I also do this with my Permacomb and HSC which are all plastic comb. Some of the cells in these get covered but they bees either move it or ignore it. Either way they are using this plastic comb.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How necessary is it to cover the plastic with wax? Will the bees not use HSC pre-drawn plastic comb if you don't add wax? What about pre-drawn plastic drone comb?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
How necessary is it to cover the plastic with wax? Will the bees not use HSC pre-drawn plastic comb if you don't add wax? What about pre-drawn plastic drone comb?
My bees will not touch any plastic comb if it's not treated with wax first. Put some in a hive because I was out of frames and permacomb with wax. Bees never touched it. But they worked the other frames.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My bees will draw out pierco wax coated foundation. But I have never been satisfied with the eagerness that they did it. So about 3 weeks ago I needed some deep foundation. I had 6 white plastic foundations, which didn't feel like it had ever had wax. So I put me a pan on my outside grill burner and melted some wax foundation to brush on them. I used a cheap paint brush (2=$1.00), because I knew it would ruin it. I got it a little heavier some places than other. The bees draw it out first and do a pretty and uniform job on it. My bees have been known to build out the Pierco before they did wax. They will draw out everything before the duragilt that I have. When they draw out the duragilt, they usually make a mess on it, and hardly ever will draw out both sides. So to get back to the topic, use the cheapest method to put it on. Just get some on every part of it. I think that I am going to recoat my pierco plastic from now on. especially my super foundation.
Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
For what it's worth. I simply take a block of wax and rub it on.;)
I bet you could leave the block of wax out in the sun for a while and it would go on fairly well. Do you use it on already waxed foundation? Do they draw it out quicker then?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I bet you could leave the block of wax out in the sun for a while and it would go on fairly well. Do you use it on already waxed foundation? Do they draw it out quicker then?
Answer is YES to both :thumbsup: When warm it does go on better and I have used it on waxed and unwaxed. I save a few cents on the unwaxed and think the bees like there own local wax. I have noticed one thing; the bees will glean all the wax off one frame and use it elsewere and go back to that frame and draw it when needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts