Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tinkering recently with cutting a complete hive out of 1 board using the compucarve. Has anyone had the same thought or already done it? If you have already done it how did it go?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The compucarve is a computer controlled router that sears sells. It is a neat piece of equipment but I'm not sure how it will do with this project, I was hoping that someone had done something similar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a Shopbot. I used 3/4 exterior ply for the hive bodies, and 3/8 for the frame sides and frame bottoms. From 1 sheet I produced Telescoping cover, 2 Deeps, 2 medium supers, screened bottom board, miller type feeder, and sides for the slatted rack.

From the 3/8 sheet I got all the frame parts (except top bar) and the slats for 2 slatted racks. Still some left over.

A table saw is still faster for things like the bottom frame parts and the slatted rack slats, so I programmed a chunk out of the sheet,set the fence and ripped away.

The nice thing is that all the rabbits were done and all I needed to do was smooth the edges and glue and screw the parts together. Brads on the frame parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts