Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I am interested in this as well. I suspect the answer will be $60-$80/hive range depending how long the bees are needed. Different varieties will flower at different times and if someone has a number of different varieties the bloom can last several weeks. An other factor that might affect the price is the grower's spray schedule, and any requirement that the bees be moved with little notice.

We must have some folks who know from first hand experience what the going rate for apple pollination is! (Perhaps this thread belongs in another forum?)

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I get paid to deliver hives when the grower wants them and to remove them when they are done, whatever the length of the bloom is. It doesn't matter if the time span is one week or three or six. Apple pollination in NY is late this year. It hasn't started. I predict that the hives will be in the orchards a shorter time than usual, whatever that is.

Sixty to eighty dollars is about what the average range is though I have heard that some folks have been shooting for much higher. Whatever it is, it isn't much compared to other per acre costs to the grower.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Whatever it is it isn't much compared with the loss of honey, and bees. :)
Unless you can hit multiple pollination jobs with the same bees ;)

My base rate for Hudson Valley New York is $63, with discounts for quantity, and if the grower will spread the bees himself.

Probably be $66 next year, and $69 the year after, mainly trying to take into account the cost of shipping and feed. But those are just projections, and are subject to change at the drop of a hat.

I normally charge more for Vermont since apples there overlap with Maine blueberries. I have always been able to get my bees from the new paltz area to maine in time for blueberries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am guessing that all these loses were accrued due to the bees being present while spraying occurred? Or was this due to spaying before pollination

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Some from the spray just before bloom. Some from spray after petal fall…the orchard is so large that the western half blooms earlier and they sometimes sprayed it after the bees were moved out. The bees in the remaining half get a hit…I guess the orchardists don't think the bees can cross a state highway.

And then there are the fungicides…harmless to bees. Yeah right. Read the Penn State study that looks at what fungicides in apple pollen do to the nurse bees' hypopharingial glands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My bees basically pay the rent on my permenant apiary, a small orchard of 300 or so trees. I feel lucky that the landowner is adverse to spraying as he wishes to create a natural craft cider from the produce (he has a micro brewery). But there is plenty of other sources of nectar so it isnt a monoculture situation.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Are bees affected by sprayed trees days after it is applied or just
during the application when it is wet ? Curious minds want to know.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Are bees affected by sprayed trees days after it is applied or just
during the application when it is wet ? Curious minds want to know.
Pesticide is in the understory and hedgerows…dandelions clover, etc.

Fungicides are sprayed during bloom when the bees are flying. Working bees in the orchard, I've been sprayed with fungicide…so much the windshield on my truck had to be washed off so I could see.

·
Registered
856 Posts
"I've been sprayed with fungicide." That is a bad thing. I'm hope you have read the warning labels on most fungicides. I read the warning labels on some fungicides and decided to try some organic fungicide in my small, raised bed garden. I was surprised at how toxic some of the fungicides were to humans.

Michael your comments are always well taken, and I want to take the time to thank you for spending some time on the forum. I can only imagine how busy you are.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts