Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered APIVAR from Mann Lake and now a week or so later received an email invoice that they are on backorder but no information when it will be avilable. Not very pleased with this late response. Does anyone know where else I can order that has it avialble?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
being from Illinois, I would call your local Dadant office.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
you can try an amazon search, they say that they come from Mann Lake but it also say's that amazon is the shipper and provider??

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
There is no Apivar available in Germany right now. Can't order from neither Italy nor France, too...

Same situation with other products like Varromed.

Seems like bee medicine is not on the top priority list of what is needed...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mann Lake has some of the best stuff but their execution of orders really is difficult. I just placed an order for 5 thing, small order around $150. Nothing exotic or unusual, hive tools and the like. I got three packages which took more than a week (using free shipping), two thing were the wrong items and had to be re-sent, which is still not here. Love the Company but hate the wait, I have driven up to the Wilkes Bare warehouse but with COVID, everything (Not just ML) is screwy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So ok the Mann Lake subject. Just a hint for you guys. The sales folks make commission on sales. ALWAYS call and talk to a human. If you don’t and your nearest MannLake is out of stock it will back order. I only spend a couple grand a year but have a guy I go to. I email him what I want. He puts the order together and gets me best price (meaning sometimes I pay for shipping on orders over $100 because he can cut a deal). If I like what I see I say call me, he does and gets it shipped faster.

Why not try Oxalic if your not finding ApiVar then?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why not try Oxalic if your not finding ApiVar then?
Oxalic is only effective when the hive is broodless in the winter.
There is some truth to that. Research out of France and some other sources show that Oxalic can be applied in multiple treatments over time to increase effectiveness. So while it doesn’t kill under the cap like Formic, it is the same type of treatment cycle as Apivar. Apivar doesn’t kill under the cap either. It works because it is in your hive for 42 days. Same principle on OAV. I have read 3x 7 days and 5x 5 days. The reproductive mites will not reenter a capped brood to reproduce for 4-11 days. By treating 5 times over 5 days your get all the emerged mites.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Oxalic is only effective when the hive is broodless in the winter.
Not sure where you obtained your information.

We treat with the Oxivap/Oxalic acid vapor 4 times in a four week period in July/August and it completely solves our varroa mite challenges for the rest of the year.

Often times, it is difficult to find even one live mite after a 3-4 regimented treatment...

We used the Apivar for years with tremendous success, but after awhile, it just became too darn expensive...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts