Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have Apivar in my hive at present and it should come out Friday. I have been checking the weather in my area and my helper's availability, Friday is not working for either. Is it an issue if I were to leave it in till Monday? I know that overuse can build up resistance but not sure if 3 days will do that. I am planning on following up with an oxalic acid vap treatment. Any thoughts? Jenny.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
No Jenny, it’s not a problem. I know ppl who leave them all winter. After a couple of months it’s probably not kicking out any Amitraz, but even then, it’s just a barrier.

When I use it I put a screw through the hole rather than the foldouts. This is done so they can move around on both sides of it. The other way it tends to block a fair-sized piece of real estate on one comb.

I’d be much more concerned about pulling too quickly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. That alivates my concerns.
No Jenny, it’s not a problem. I know ppl who leave them all winter. After a couple of months it’s probably not kicking out any Amitraz, but even then, it’s just a barrier.

When I use it I put a screw through the hole rather than the foldouts. This is done so they can move around on both sides of it. The other way it tends to block a fair-sized piece of real estate on one comb.

I’d be much more concerned about pulling too quickly.
Thanks. That alleviates my concerns. Jenny.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Apivar can be in for 42 days and up to 56 days, are you at the 56 day mark? Apivar is not supposed to be left in the hive for winter it does not have much miticide left on it but that is where the build up of resistance by mites comes in. Little amounts of Apivar but not enough to kill just enough for the mites to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I don’t think it’s best to leave it for winter. But I’ll wager any mite walking around after 56 days of Amitraz is already immune to it.

A few days will not make a difference in my opinion, but it’s just that.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Yup, for sure the little buggers just don't seem to know when they are not wanted.
For realsies. Every time I think I have an idea on how to nuke them (electromagnetism, sound waves, temperature variants, etc), I eventually run up on an experiment done under real-deal scientific conditions and controls. Most are from 20 years ago. But if one of us finds it, they’re doomed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts