Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a bag of strips is opened, how long would the strips remain effective for? I kept them sealed in a ziplock but wondering if there is a shelf life after opening. With that said, do the strips lose their potency the longer they are in the hive? Could enough of the chemical wear off to make a difference? I know about the treatment lengths but just wondering what the upper limits are for the life of the strips. Thanks,

·
Registered
421 Posts
the directions say open and use. Randy Oliver did an ABJ article lately but it is a lab study and probably not field realistic. I suppose vacu-seal and keep dark might help.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The strips expire a year after their date of manufacture, usually there is a date on it. The whole mechanism of Apivar is that it is a strip with a chemical on it that the bees walk all over and spread around to the bees in the hive. This chemical kills varroa on the bees on contact but does nothing to the mites under the cappings. The strips are efficacious for 42 days after you put them in the hive and leave them in there. They are left in the hive so that when those mites under the cappings emerge with the bees they are on, they get a dose of Apivar and die. A few rounds of that and you get serious reductions in mites in the hive over the 40-some-odd days.

You can still keep opened Apivar packets in an airtight bag and away from light. Ziplock bag and covered in foil works great. It is super important that you remove the strips after the 42-45 days as the dose reduces to a level where it no longer reliably kills mites. If you leave the strips in for say, months, you may get Apivar resistant mites.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I left the unused strips in the packaging they came in and we are pretty close.to a.year from when i opened them. I bought the 50 pack and placed the last few in the hives. Maybe I will swap them out for some new ones I just picked up. Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
854 Posts
Are you writing off you spring flow this year?
42 days for strips and 14 more before honey supers(per label) is mid June,pretty much the end of your E Windsor flow.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you writing off you spring flow this year?
42 days for strips and 14 more before honey supers(per label) is mid June,pretty much the end of your E Windsor flow.
I placed the strips on at the end of March so I should be in good shape for supers come mid May just around the time of black locust bloom.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it looked like I answered my own question yesterday. After beginning treatment of the over wintered hives at the 20th of March with last years strips, I saw a bee yesterday with DWV. This particular hive I saw DWV is huge and brooding up well, but now I think I need to change my plan. I think the hives that got last years strips will be used to make nucs up instead of honey production. I might hit them with OAV, but I want to increase my hive numbers anyway so this might be the clearest path to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts