Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Spadeapiaries... I was getting massive mite drops . So now I don't know if the colony bee numbers dropped drastically due to or such a massive mite population that the die down was wholly due to mites.

Any thoughts?
you probably answered the question of all the "failures" of apivar, crashing hives crash.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I can state that at least 10 of my hives were large and thriving before Apivar. I also followed instructions and our temps were about 65-75 F. With 2 exceptions my hives are basically dead and by that I mean only a handful of bees remain that and they will soon be gone I have a about 10 years of experience and Iam not a scientist but I can see no disease in any of the hives. I have noticed darker comb, whichis not unusual. It appears the bees could not tolerate the chemicals in APIVAR and left. I am beginning to think there is a possible qaulity control issue with this product as it seems to be well accepted by many other beekeepers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have used Apivar on a few hives with high mite counts this spring with good results and no noticeable knockdown. With that in mind I treated all of my hives on 9/5 and I'm seeing high brood loss and queen loss in about 1/2 of my hives. Even the hives that look good only have a couple frames of brood. They chewed down ALL the comb and brood on both sides wherever the strips were and the queens just seem to stop laying if I can find them at all. It has been 25 days and I found hatched queen cells and a few virgins in some of the hives. I also only saw two drones so I'm not sure how well the virgins will do?

Did I get a HOT batch?

The pictures below are from a commercial beekeepers yard and they show HUGE kills with their home made amitraz strips.
View attachment 58649
View attachment 58651
View attachment 58647
How many strips did you apply per hive ?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I have done thousands of treatments with Apivar. Never seen it kill bees once, other than brood trapped under the strips.

I do see combs cut down to the foundation under the strips. Wether or not the bees do this depends on the comb spacing. If 33 mm wide end bars are used and the combs tight to each other, the bees have to cut back the comb under the strips. Wider spacings they do not have to.

Now that I'm retired and have the time, I get called upon by a lot of hobbyists who have problems with their bees. One of the things that crops up is "I treated but the bees died anyway". If I go and take a look, from the autopsy it can most often be seen that the hive was past the point of no return, before the treatment was put in.

To the OP, there could be several causes for your issues. I would suggest taking it up with the manufacturers, and if possible send them an unused strip to have a look at, or if not possible, the batch number of your strips. If there was something wrong with the batch, they may have had other complaints. Without at the least a batch number, they will be unable to investigate. When I took up a problem years ago with the manufacturers of Apivar (who are in France), they took it seriously, investigated thoroughly, and ended up with a resolution. I was impressed by them and believe they stand by their product, and did an honest investigation.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Since many of my colonies are also about dead, I will. Ever use this product again. Can you tell me where you purchased your Apivar? I ordered thru Amazon but it was supplied by Mannlake. To say the least I am very unhappy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Since many of my colonies are also about dead, I will. Ever use this product again. Can you tell me where you purchased your Apivar? I ordered thru Amazon but it was supplied by Mannlake. To say the least I am very unhappy.
Mine came from Dadant in Chico but it all came from the same place to start with.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Strong two and three deep supers on 8 frame hives 2 - 3 strips each depending on brood. Each hive started with 7- 10 frames of brood. The best hives now have 2 - 3. Chewing up comb is in every hive. They have chewed the comb back to the foundation around every strip. I assume they just tossed the brood from those areas?

Robbing from commercial bees is a possibility but the hives are at my home and I check them 2-3 times a day. If they are getting robbed it's subtle. There always seems to be bees looking for a way in but I have them blocked down to about 1 1/2 inch openings. I have thought that constance pressure could be a factor???
Seriously, seriously doubt this is apivar.

Apivar is not harmless at all, but chewed up brood comb doesn't come from apivar unless you got a radioactive batch from Chernobyl.

What you're describing is ROBBING.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I can state that at least 10 of my hives were large and thriving before Apivar. I also followed instructions and our temps were about 65-75 F. With 2 exceptions my hives are basically dead and by that I mean only a handful of bees remain that and they will soon be gone I have a about 10 years of experience and Iam not a scientist but I can see no disease in any of the hives. I have noticed darker comb, whichis not unusual. It appears the bees could not tolerate the chemicals in APIVAR and left. I am beginning to think there is a possible qaulity control issue with this product as it seems to be well accepted by many other beekeepers.
Again, I do have my suspicions that apivar is not to blame here.

Bees absconding from apivar...hmmmmmmmm.

I'm not an advocate for apivar, but from my experience it's well tolerated, even at doses beyond the recommendation.

These strips are manufactured in France, from my understanding - moreover, the strips are not designed in such a way that they could have too much chemical. Basically just plastic infused with amitraz...it's not like MAQS that's just dripping with chemical.

Either the bees absconded for a different reason, or there is a really serious QC issue with your strips.

Save those strips and send them back to the manufacturer for testing, or file a lawsuit against them.

If you file a lawsuit, that will force their hand to some degree. 10 hives lost? File a lawsuit and let us know what happens.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts