1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The most important comment in my opinion:
Kent Meredith
6 hours ago
Bob, I’m very sorry that you had to go through this. Shingles can be very serious, and it looks like you did have a pretty significant case. I am a physician, (M.D.) and just want to comment from my perspective and experience. First of all, I will say as a beekeeper, you are my hero, and I respect you immensely! I also think it was very honorable that you had the courage to share something rather personal. I do think, however, it is important to inform you and your viewers that there is an effective antiviral medication that can dramatically reduce the severity of shingles, and prevent life-threatening illness if the infection spreads to the eye, brain, or other locations. The medication is only effective if it is taken soon after the onset of shingles symptoms. As you correctly mention in your video, this disease is caused by the chickenpox virus (varicella zoster virus), which is never really eliminated from your body after you recover from the chickenpox. Instead, the virus retreats into the nerve cells of your spinal cord, where it lies dormant until later in life, when your immune system either weakens or you are exposed to other stress or illness. At that point, the virus temporarily becomes re-activated, and causes shingles, which is a flare up of the rash and pain in the local area supplied by the nerve where the virus was living. I really hate to see that you had to suffer like that, when a trip to the doctor and an inexpensive prescription (Valtrex) would have quickly subdued the disease and greatly reduced the chance that you might have longer term pain as a result of the shingles. Finally, it is important to mention that for people with weakened immune systems (for example cancer or organ transplant patients), shingles can truly be life threatening, and apitherapy should not replace emergency medical care. My prayers for you as you recover! Thanks for all the great teaching you give to us beekeepers out there! Kent Meredith

I've had the chicken pox so I am susceptible to shingles. I think I will get the vaccine this week.
Per the CDC:
Healthy adults 50 years and older should get two doses of Shingrix, separated by 2 to 6 months. You should get Shingrix even if in the past you

• had shingles
  • received Zostavax*
  • are not sure if you had chickenpox
There is no maximum age for getting Shingrix.

If you had shingles in the past, you can get Shingrix to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific length of time that you need to wait after having shingles before you can receive Shingrix, but generally you should make sure the shingles rash has gone away before getting vaccinated.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts

The most important comment in my opinion:
Kent Meredith
6 hours ago
Bob, I’m very sorry that you had to go through this. Shingles can be very serious, and it looks like you did have a pretty significant case. I am a physician, (M.D.) and just want to comment from my perspective and experience. First of all, I will say as a beekeeper, you are my hero, and I respect you immensely! I also think it was very honorable that you had the courage to share something rather personal. I do think, however, it is important to inform you and your viewers that there is an effective antiviral medication that can dramatically reduce the severity of shingles, and prevent life-threatening illness if the infection spreads to the eye, brain, or other locations. The medication is only effective if it is taken soon after the onset of shingles symptoms. As you correctly mention in your video, this disease is caused by the chickenpox virus (varicella zoster virus), which is never really eliminated from your body after you recover from the chickenpox. Instead, the virus retreats into the nerve cells of your spinal cord, where it lies dormant until later in life, when your immune system either weakens or you are exposed to other stress or illness. At that point, the virus temporarily becomes re-activated, and causes shingles, which is a flare up of the rash and pain in the local area supplied by the nerve where the virus was living. I really hate to see that you had to suffer like that, when a trip to the doctor and an inexpensive prescription (Valtrex) would have quickly subdued the disease and greatly reduced the chance that you might have longer term pain as a result of the shingles. Finally, it is important to mention that for people with weakened immune systems (for example cancer or organ transplant patients), shingles can truly be life threatening, and apitherapy should not replace emergency medical care. My prayers for you as you recover! Thanks for all the great teaching you give to us beekeepers out there! Kent Meredith

I've had the chicken pox so I am susceptible to shingles. I think I will get the vaccine this week.
Per the CDC:
Healthy adults 50 years and older should get two doses of Shingrix, separated by 2 to 6 months. You should get Shingrix even if in the past you

• had shingles
  • received Zostavax*
  • are not sure if you had chickenpox
There is no maximum age for getting Shingrix.

If you had shingles in the past, you can get Shingrix to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific length of time that you need to wait after having shingles before you can receive Shingrix, but generally you should make sure the shingles rash has gone away before getting vaccinated.

Shingles is not fun, went down with it in Brazil in 1991 fortunately took the medication to end the virus. Quite a shock to me as I have never shown any symptoms of chicken pox as a youth, so that little bug can be in your system without you knowing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
there are effective inexpensive antiviral treatments that will relieve it if you get a prescription early doing an outbreak ...(forget the name) could save your life.. but will cut down the pain and duration significantly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts