Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm a first year backyard beekeeper - only 1 hive for financial reasons. I received my package in mid-June, so I started pretty late in the year and I'm just doing my first mite treatment for the Fall months with Apiguard. I placed an Apiguard container on top of my brood boxes with a shim between the uppermost box and inner cover (to give the bees some space). The shim had a small entrance cut in it which I plugged with sticks and grass - as per the advice of some local beeks. 1 day after implementing the Apiguard, I went out to check the hive and noticed that my entrance blocker in the shim had been dislodged and bees were coming in and out of the top entrance. I opened the hive and noticed that the contents of the Apiguard dish were almost entirely gone. Getting rid of 80% of the gel in 1 day seems pretty darn efficient so I'm wondering if the bees were dragging the thymol gel right out of the (previously blocked) entrance in the shim... To remedy the situation, I ended up ditching the shim and just placing an empty super between the top brood box and inner cover, so the bees will get rid of the remaining 20% of the thymol gel by dragging it through the hive and out the main entrance... My questions is, could this treatment have effectively been a waste if the bees were just dragging the gel out the shim entrance? Should I put a new Apiguard dish in the hive now (now that I'm using a super)? Or should I continue to wait the 2 weeks since I installed this first dish and then just do the 2nd round of Apiguard properly?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Check out the FAQ on the manufacturer's website. http://www.vita-europe.com/wp-content/uploads/VitaApiguardFAQ201607a.pdf

#9 sort of addresses this issue. I guess I would check to see if you can find evidence of the product scattered throughout the rest of the hive. While they could have taken it all out the top they might have taken it out both entrances and "enough" was dispersed appropriately. The above mentioned FAQ says some colonies can remove all the gel from the container in 1 day if they are active enough and that you should still wait 2 weeks before applying the second dose as the gel will still be working inside even if no longer in the tray.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts