Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone routinely treat their hives in early spring with Apiguard? If so, does it interfere with the queen laying?

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Apivar does not harm brood or a queen laying in my experience and if applied correctly will knock down Vorroa populations. That said, I quit using it because of rising evidence that varroa in my area were developing a tolerance to Amitraz. OA vaporization again done correctly is a better choice IMO

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I am an IDJET! I apologize for being senile! In my experience APIGUARD should not be used on colonies building up as it shuts down laying and will totally discombobulate a weak colony and they may never recover. Apivar may be losing effectiveness in your area but is still useful to knock down mite loads. OA is still the best choice IMO Sorry about any confusion I caused.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Does anyone routinely treat their hives in early spring with Apiguard? If so, does it interfere with the queen laying?
I do. My over-winter setup is a deep & medium.

I move the queen down into the deep (if need be).
Excluder is placed between the deep & medium.
Apiguard goes on top of the medium.
Bees usually have the gel out of the hive within a week for each treatment cycle.
I notice no disruption in queen laying.

Vance may be on the tater juice today already. He's referring to Amitraz and Formic Acid (I think) based treatments.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I like that idea Spur. Hard to use thymol down here in the late summer and fall due to heat, but I could possibly get away with it in early spring. And your set up should not set the brood rearing back much. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts