Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for next year, but curious if anyone has any success using Apiguard in a top bar by placing it on the floor of the hive. Will the bees pick it up from the floor as part of their house cleaning behavior like they do when placed on tops of frames? I know the vapor is heavier than air so placement on the floor is not ideal, but just curious.....

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Apivar on the floor won't work, it also does not release much in the way of vapor.

Are you thinking of MAQS?

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Oops, my mistake :eek:!

I have used Apiguard in langstroth hives with reasonable but not 100% success. Temperature etc has to be right or it doesn't work. Far as top bars, I have seen it used in some top bars of other people in the manner you say (placed on the bottom) but they ended up either using an additional treatment of something else or in at least a couple of cases losing the hive.

Fumigants normally work best in well populated hives with no empty areas.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't think it would work. Apiguard relies on the bees "cleaning" it up for it to expose the chemicals to the bees/mites. My top bar hives never got much cleaning on the bottom, compared to the top of a brood box in a Lang.

I'd stick with strips, as they can be put between the bars, into the brood chamber for a much more effected treatment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts