Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I found out today that I am not perfect when I pulled a couple frames of capped honey from my strongest hive 3 days after installing my first Apigard treatment and was given a first hand lesson in how potent that stuff is. I now have 2 hives here in So. California that have a brood chamber, a deep box almost fully drawn and capped (intended for them to use) and a deep Super that I should have removed before the Thymol was installed. Anyway I believe I'm looking at some options and I was hoping some of you might tell me what is best in a case like mine:

1) Pull the surplus super off each hive and trash all the honey and comb from it and install new fresh foundation as I had done last Spring with these bees.

2) Pull the surplus super off and EXTRACT the honey but return the comb and frames with the hopes that the smell in the combs won't last into Spring.

3) Start thinking about how to market honey to the mouthwash industry because that is all this stuff could be used for now ....

Thanks again from your friendly neighborhood So Cal. beekeeper ~ I'll be easy to spot... just look for the guy with the freshest breath in a bee suit ~~~ :cry:

·
Registered
574 Posts
My vote would be:

4) Crush and strain, then feed the honey back to them for the winter and toss the wax in a solar wax melter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would imagine it would degrade by next spring. I would just leave them in there for the bees or move them over to a hive that doesn't have a lot of honey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts